eleven

there suddenly came over my spirit all the keen, collected calmness of despair 

distance between pendulum and ground: eight feet

j u n g k o o k

"hang in there jungkook," jimin said shakily, as he noticed how jungkook's breathing had quickened, his inhales growing more and more ragged.

"jimin," jungkook rasped, as the pendulum cut across the room again, causing his stomach to churn with anxiety and fear. "i don't think i can do this."

"yes, you can," hoseok said. "just try not to think about it too much. everything will be fine."

jungkook gave a scoff. "how can i not think about it, hoseok?" he snapped. "a giant swinging knife is about to slice through me, and it's hanging over my very head right now."

"you just need to remember to slide quickly out of the bonds as soon as the pendulum pierces them," namjoon said, as if this was at all encouraging to jungkook.

"i'm sorry you had to be the first, buddy," yoongi said, as he eyed jungkook from his spot a few feet away.

"yeah," taehyung said softly, from beside jungkook. "i wish we could switch places."

"you don't mean that," jungkook snorted. "who in the world would want to switch places with me right now?"

"even though i've only known you for a little while, jungkook, i still care about you," taehyung explained, looking over at jungkook, his eyes meeting jungkook's own. "i almost feel like we've known each for a long time."

jungkook had felt the same way when he was with taehyung--he had a strange, almost brotherly affection for the other man, which he found odd, as he didn't feel the same way about any of the other prisoners.

but before anyone could say anything, yoongi suddenly exclaimed, "umm, guys?"

"yeah?" hoseok asked.

"jin just fell asleep."

"fuck," namjoon breathed. "this is bad."

"maybe he was just tired?" hoseok squeaked.

"no, he would have given us warni--" yoongi began, before letting out a loud yawn and suddenly falling completely silent.

"oh no, oh no," hoseok panicked. "what are we going to do? that pendulum is only, like, ten feet above us now? if we fall asleep, it might reach us before we can do anything!"

jungkook felt his insides tighten as he processed what hoseok has just said. every time they had fallen asleep, something drastic had changed when they woke up. the first time, the room had been illuminated and the drugged food had been placed there. the second time, they had awoken to find themselves tied to this board.

who knew what would happen the third time?

and would he even be alive to see it?

"should we try to fight it?" jimin asked.

"no," namjoon said, sounding defeated as he noticed that hoseok had fallen asleep as well. "last time when we tried that, it did no good anyways."

"so what so we do?" jimin shrieked, wincing as he saw namjoon let out a yawn of his own.

"i..." namjoon trailed off, before becoming completely quiet.

"oh shit," taehyung muttered, looking frantically between jimin and jungkook. "guys, we're the only ones left."

"i know," jungkook said, his voice cracking.

"jimin?" taehyung asked, when no response came from his right.

"did he fall asleep too?" jungkook asked tentatively.

"i think so," taehyung said with a renowned sigh.

the two of them were quiet for a brief moment.

"taehyung?" jungkook said, not caring how childish and small his voice sounded. "i'm scared."

but there was no reply from the man to his right. only silence.

--------

please vote, comment and follow! :) thanks so much for reading!

oh no! my poor jungkookie! :(

also, i'll probably update quite a few times within the next few days, 'cuz i'm feeling inspired, lol. oh! and tysm for 340 reads!