Ch 13: Say BFF

My shift at the diner is over. I said goodbye to Wil who still had a few more hours to go and to Karen who decided to work an extra shift to keep raking in those tips. Or in her words, "Before the competition gets tough" when I start as a waitress. Jay is driving me over to my house and we are going to do our weekly workout routine. It used to be everyday while I was recovering from the whole Volto incident, but since school started we've only had time to get together once a week.

I don't mind, though, Jay is my first real friend and he gives me the opportunity to ask him questions I can't ask the guys and wouldn't normally ask my parents. I hope he doesn't mind all the questions. He's normally so quiet, but when we're alone together he talks...and my parents state of the art home gym is a pretty good incentive to keep me company!

The entire ride over was silent, but that's Jay for you. It takes him several minutes to warm up.

"Is North going to have a conniption when he finds out I'm still helping you work out?" Jay asks as he gets out of the car.

I laugh a little at the word choice as I get my keys out of my backpack to open the front door. "Conniption?" I ask him, "Really? That's the word you choose?"

He shrugs, "I figured temper tantrum was overused when it comes to him so I picked conniption."

We make our way through the hallways leading to the stairs that go straight to the basement. The entire basement floor is dedicated to this gym. My parents say it's "Academy approved", whatever that means. Jay and my friends seem to like it. He's only taught me how to use about half of the equipment, who knows what else these machines can do!

I think back to that day North got mad--or I should say jealous--that Jay was helping me work out. It got so blown out of proportion that I don't think we ever came to a conclusion other than North needs to listen to me when I tell him I'm uncomfortable! And even now, thinking about it, I don't think the lesson really sunk in for him. He knows I'm still friends with Jay right? North told me if I needed help working out to ask him. He told me what to do. He didn't offer to help; he told me to choose him over Jay, my friend. Just like he ordered me to run away with him a couple months ago when the plan was brought up.

Is this how it's going to be? He offered to try the plan out, to give it his best, but he continues to boss me around with other things. Will he change his mind about the plan and push until I give in and run away with him?

"Sang?" Jay says as he flips the light switch. The bright lights turn on fast, one after the other until the last row all the way at the end of the basement is fully lit. It went from dark to light so fast it made my eyes hurt a little. I shake my head to ease the pain and drop my bag near the door.

"Sorry, yeah...daydreaming for a second there...ummm...I don't know if North is going to throw another fit. I don't really know what is going on with him." Or the other guys I think to myself. Nathan won't tell me about his dad,Gabriel is asking me to Winter Formal, Kota got all "obey me" eyes on me yesterday and Silas told the entire football team about our date! What are Luke and Victor up to that I don't know about!?

"Jay?"

"Yeah?" He grunts in between reps.

"You're my best friend. Is that okay?"

"I've never had a best friend before." He replies with confusion in his voice.

"What about Rocky?" I ask. They always hang out together, they play football together. His sister Jade even dates him...or hooks up with him...friends with benefits? I'm not sure!

Jay snorts and shakes his head. He sets the weights down and leans forward watching me with his arms leaning on his knees. His dark stare might intimidate some, but not me...not anymore. "You know exactly why I'm friends with Rocky. And no we're not best friends just because we play ball and he fucks my sister."

My eyes go wide at the blunt remark. Jay has never censored his language around me and I don't mind. I want him to just be himself, but the comment still surprised me. "Soooo...." I say encouraging him to confirm if it's okay for me to consider him my best friend.

"I haven't known you that long, Sang, but I do think you're the closest friend I've ever had and yeah. We can be BFFs" He uses the initials and I squeal in excitement, getting up from the foam roller I was using and rushing over to him for a hug. He pats my back a little awkwardly and a deep chuckle escapes his lips.

I hurry back to the foam roller and continue my stretches. "What would our couple name be? Not like couple-couple, but you know friend couple name? Jang?" I suggest.

"No that sounds fucking dirty." He pauses mid rep before offering up, "Say."

"Say what?" I ask with confusion in my voice.