IV

She walked through the emptiness of the house and thought to herself:

This is the house...
The house I learned to write in.
The house I learned to ride a bike outside of.
The house I learned what real love was.

Her grandparents knew so much more than a couple of first time, unstable, psychotic parents would understand in a million years.

Those parents were Faye's parents.

She treads up the creaking stairs, barely hearing those creaks anymore, being so used to the touch and sound. Each wooden step echoing its voice across each room, reminding her how quiet the house really is.

You know when you come home to an empty house? Your parents or siblings are at work or at school. You're alone for a little while, but it seems like nothing because you know they're going to come back. Imagine that feeling minus the knowledge of their return.

Alone in a house without a home.

She reached her room ontop of that second level, checking her watch. Jim Gordon's voice replayed in her mind:

"Make it quick, but don't forget to say goodbye..."

Faye packed her two duffle bags with everything that she believed she needed. Clothes, toiletries, and other possessions filled those bags. She had no intentions of forgetting the life she lived in that house. After a good time sorting and packing, she left her bags at the top of the stairs, her mind leading her to her grandparents room. She entered hesitantly, cringing at the neatly made bed that the hospice service had made after her grandfather had been taken away. Faye turned her head to the knickknacks and photos around the room. She picked up a few of the larger ones, staring at the people who were once her entire world. She allowed herself to silently say goodbye to the house, finally accepting each creak, screech, paint chip, and dust ball to be an added touch of personality. Faye piled a few small photos in her hands, just so she would never lose track of her past.

Walking out, she heard some creaking from down on the bottom floor.

"You almost ready, Faye?" Detective Gordon's voice rang through each hall in the house.

Faye responded weakly, placing the pictures into the bags, finally making her way down the steps that once seemed so scary and risky at a time in her life. Jim was waiting for her at the bottom, offering his arm for one of her bags.

"Thank you," Faye said softly, exiting out the front door without turning back. She watched Harvey glance up at her from the newspaper before opening the backseat door for her. She slid in, then taking the other bag from Jim. When he entered the passenger's seat, they began their return to Wayne Manor.

"Thank you for making that quick. We just have a lot to get back to down at the station," Harvey said.

"Sorry for making you guys go out of your way for me..." Faye responded with a hint of sarcasm.

"Bullock didn't mean it like that-"

"No, I'm used to it, it's alright," She ended the conversation there, the truth impacting each of the three.

Silence rose.

That silence that isn't awkward but isn't safe enough to relax in.

Although she knew the trip wouldn't take long, Faye proceeded to lay her head against the window and shut her eyes, finally allowing herself to get some rest.

After Harvey realized she was asleep, he waited a few minutes before talking to Jim.

"I feel bad for the girl."

"Me too, but why exactly?" Jim responded, glancing at the girl in the back.

"You don't know why she ended up living with her grandparents?" Harvey replied in disbelief, noticing Jim shake his head. "Her parents had some...issues," he began to whisper, "but i'm gonna save the whole story for a time when the victim isn't in the vehicle with us." Jim nodded to Harvey's response, his eyes then flashing to the gates of Wayne Manor as they opened for the car.

"I hope Bruce will enjoy some company," Jim said sympathetically, watching Faye slumber in the reflection of the side-view mirror. "I just hope we can convince Alfred that this is where she belongs."

"How can you be sure that this is where she belongs, Jim? Wayne Manor is always under some sort of threat, which Alfred has accepted for Bruce, but we can't expect the guy to welcome another target with open arms." Bullock said, managing the vehicle down the long driveway. "I mean, the guy has to deal with one unstable orphan, and now two?"

"They're more than just orphans, Bullock. They're kids who still have so much to experience and to learn. Both these kids are going to become something and change this city, one way or another..."

"That's not our argument right now, Jim," Harvey sighed, pushing off the rest of the conversation for back at the station.

Harvey maneuvered the car, pulling it up to the front door. Jim got out, telling Harvey he can stay in the car. He shut his door and knocked on the glass of Faye's window, waking her up.

"We're here," Harvey said, turning toward the backseat.

"Thanks again for helping me out," she said before grabbing her bags and exiting. Jim grabbed one of the two and they walked inside, Alfred greeting them at the front door. As the butler shut the door, Jim and Faye awkwardly stood there awaiting his next move.

"I'll show you to your room," Alfred said politely, guiding the two down a long hallway. Some doors were open, but some doors were closed, hiding whatever it may be the Wayne's had kept in such a large mansion. At what seemed to be the end of the wing, Alfred opened a door, revealing a large, master bedroom and bathroom.

"Here is one of Wayne Manor's many guest rooms."

"This is a guest room!?" Faye said in disbelief. She walked to the bed, placing her bag on top of the perfectly made sheets and comforter. The pillows were the fluffiest she's ever seen, and the room had its own beautiful view of the Manor's backyard landscape. Even Detective Gordon viewed the room as a palace.

"I'll let you make yourself comfortable, and I'll be in the kitchen if you need me." Alfred said with a nod.

"Again, Alfred, thank you for doing this. It's what-"

"-Richard would have wanted, I know." He finished Jim's sentence, flashing him a weak smile and exiting. Jim turned back to Faye who was slightly distraught by their small conversation.

"Here's my work number and cell phone number if you have any emergencies. I'll also give you Harvey's cell and the address for the GCPD building. Even if you just need to talk, call." He handed her a piece of paper. She examined the slip before nodding gently. Faye went in and gave the taller man a hug, which he returned.

"Thank you..." She finally said. "You stood by your word, and it worked." She credited the man, pulling out of the hug. He smiled sympathetically to her.

"Of course. It's my job." He finalized. "But Faye," Jim began, "I'm sorry if any of this has made you uncomfortable in any way possible."

"No, don't worry about me," she replied. Jim smiled, patting her shoulder, and proceeded to exit Faye's bedroom.

Alone to herself in the room, she finished her sentence:

"It's only made me feel unwanted."