The Escape, Such As It Is (Ch. 12)

As the three of us backed away, the ever-growing Caulfield, reminded me of the Hulk, but I doubted he'd turn green. He roared as his skin split, revealing a pale skin underneath that covered his new forming body. His back was curled, and when he stretched out, he was seven feet tall with open fists on either side of him.

"Graham!" I yelled, pulling him out of his distracted state. "Get Jimmy! We have to get out of here!"

"MOM!" Graham called out. "I'M NOT LEAVING YOU HERE! C'MON!" But she shook her head.

"No, Graham. I deserve this." She said solemnly accepting her fate. "GO! Take Jimmy and Icelynn and get out of here!" She looked at Graham once more and smiled. "I love you, honey." She ran behind Caulfield's desk and grabbed a gun out of his desk. She fired, repetitively, into his chest in vain. He swept his arm wide, slapping her against the wall.

"NO!" Graham roared, but she had died before he could call out. I blocked him, not allowing him to ran at Caulfield. I looked into his eyes.

"We just don't have the time. Fight now, mourn later." I said, remembering Valkyrie, from 'Skulduggery Pleasant', and her words to Skulduggery. He didn't say anything, he just nodded. We grabbed Jimmy and ran out of the room with Caulfield trailing behind us. Graham lead the way, knowing the institute better than Jimmy and myself. We ran down the stairs and to the old cellar. It was a dead end, so Graham and I barricaded the door.

"Graham," I said, telepathically. It was better not to say this in front of Jimmy. I didn't want him to get too scared. "We can't fight him. He's too strong."

"We can't," He said. "But Jimmy can. He's strong enough."

"Well we should tell him. Caulfield can still read my mind." I answered. Graham took hold of Jimmy and me. Just then, a sharp pain flashed through my mind as I fell to one knee, with Graham there to steady me, as he did the same for Jimmy.

"Sorry, I didn't know it'd hurt that much." He said. "Now Caulfield can't read your minds." He turned to Jimmy. "Jimmy, I need you to do something for me." Jimmy nodded. "I need you to use your power to stop Caulfield."

"B-but I can't!" Jimmy said. "I-I don't know how to control it!" Graham looked at him with understanding eyes.

"I know. I just need you to try." He hugs Jimmy. The door burst open as Caulfield walked slowly down the stairs. He was coming and we couldn't stop him. His menacing footsteps echoed almost as loud as my heart's beating. I turn to Gray, and he sees the fear on my face. Caulfield's footsteps are suddenly making the ground shake. Graham leans forward, and we kiss briefly. Caulfield is now breathing heavily in front of us. "Everything will be alright." Gray says as a white-hot pain scorches through my body and my mind goes dull. "Goodbye, Gray." I think faintly.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Ok this may seem like a really crappy ending, but THAT'S BECAUSE IT'S NOT AN ENDING! HA!

But, yeah, Icelynn kinda died...

*hides in corner and awaits people to kill me because of her death*

Shruthi

xx