When Is A Monster Not A Monster...

"Amor, we have to keep going," Leon's voice rang in my ears. I quickly wiped the tear from my eye.

"Yes, of course," I quietly agreed. Leon and Ashley go the same way Ramon did. I slowly trailed after them, barely paying attention to where we were.

'My sweet Ramon, why are you like this?'  I asked myself. 'What thoughts did that evil man Saddler put into your head?'

I am shaken from my thoughts by a shrill scream. Only after Ashley's scream do I notice that we were separated from Leon by a gate. The ground shook and I stumbled. At the opposite end of the corridor a machine with spinning blades at its front burst through the wall, coming straight for Ashley and I.

"Amor, get down!" Leon demanded urgently. I did as he said and crouched down beside Ashley. Two gunshots rang through the hallway and then there was the sound of the gate rising. Both Ganados that had been operating the machine were dead, but the machine did not stop. And Ashley did not move.

"Ashley, get up!" I urged the girl to her feet. Then I pulled her into the safety of the other room. How was this girl still alive, with her lack of perception skills?

"Thanks," Ashley said, her breathing heavy.

"You are welcome." I watched as Leon looked through the room, picking up anything he felt to be useful. When he was finally done, he kicked open the locked door that brought us back into the chess room. We did not linger there long however. The three of us ran straight down another corridor through a set of large oak doors. Just inside the doors, Leon stopped us.

"I think you two should wait here. Something tells me that there's gonna be a lotta trouble down here," he said. He then left without another word, once again leaving me with alone with the President's daughter.

"What's down there?" Ashley asked.

"Suits of armor. Ramon has quite the collection," I answered her. 

"Do they come to life too?" she asked, sounding very serious. I turned to her, suddenly feeling afraid.

"What do you mean 'Come to life'?"

"There were some that attacked me when I was alone. You didn't know about the armor?"

"Oh Lord," I groaned into my hands. I felt a hand on my back.

"Leon will be fine," Ashley assured me.  After a few moments she asked, "Are you okay?"

"I will be when we get out of this damned castle." Ashley did not hesitate to agree with me.

"So that Salazar guy, you really care about him, don't you?" Ashley asked, sympathy lacing her voice.

"Yes, yes I do. I love him. Even after all he has done."

"How do you love him still?"

"Before Leon came to the castle, another man, Jack, asked me something similar. He asked me how could I love a monster like Salazar. Do you know what my answer was? I choose to see the good in most people. I am the girl who over waters her plants because I do not know how to stop giving. I keep giving my love to a man who does not deserve it."

"Why though?"

"I could not tell you why. There is just something about him I cannot let go of," I admitted. One of Ashley's arms wrapped around my shoulders.

"You'll get through it. I know you will. You're strong. A lot stronger than me."

"Thank you Ashley," I quietly said, genuinely appreciative of her words.

"Am I interrupting something?" Leon's voice asked suddenly. Ashley leapt in surprise. I smiled at her jumpiness.

"No Leon. We should keep going though," I said with a renewed energy filling me.

We go back the way we came, but this time go down a second hall. Ashley and I remain behind Leon as he quickly takes out the Ganados guarding the door at the other end. Another blocked door.

"Thank God I had the sense to grab these," Leon voiced his relief after he read the inscriptions on the statues on either side of the door. He pulled two chalices from his person. He set on into each of the statues hands, which caused the gate to rise.

Through the door was yet again another long corridor. And yet another set of doors stood at the end.

"Amor, just how big is this place?" Ashley asked me as we travelled down the hall. Just before I opened the door I shrugged.

"What the hell? Are we under the castle?" I heard Leon ask when we passed through the doors. I was about to answer when I felt clawed feet, like talons, dig into my back. Then I was lifted from the ground. Ashley screamed for Leon's help, which told me she had also been grabbed. I struggled for the blade at my hip and just when it was between my fingers, it slipped. I watched as it clattered to the ground. And then I screamed.

"Leon!"

____________________________________________________________

A/N: Hey guys, I'm finally back! I know before I said I wouldn't be gone long and I promise I didn't mean to lie. But I'm finally on summer vacation and able to put most of my focus on this story. And guys, let me tell you something. For some reason this chapter was horribly difficult to write. Like, I actually had to think about it. But it's finally done. Next couple chapters won't be from the game really at all. Maybe a few parts here and there, but the next chapters are focusing on Ramon/Amor. So it's all creativity for a while. See you next chapter!