eight

Louis tossed and turned for what felt like the millionth time that night, barely able to get a wink of sleep for the past couple of nights. It's been three days since Anne woke up and Harry hasn't left her side at the hospital. "Lou, babe." Zayn mumbled from his sleep, "Please try and get some sleep." 

"I can't Zee. Don't you feel like we should be there too?" Louis looked at his phone, like he does every five minutes, just waiting from that awful call from Lottie. "I know my sister is there but I still feel like I should be there too." The man sighed, snuggling into his husband's warm embrace. 

"I know Lou, but I don't think it's a good idea if there are too many people there. Lottie will call us in the morning and let us know if anything happened, then we'll go to be with Harry. Mum is packed and ready to come here the second we call her." Zayn soothed, leaving small kisses on Louis' temple. "He feels safe with Lottie, so don't worry." 

The call came. The following night, the first night Louis had actually managed to fall asleep, at four am the god damn call came. He knew Lottie was going to call him when it happened but he didn't think she would call in the middle of the night, maybe early in the morning yes, but when he heard Harry's heart-breaking screams on the other line he knew why Lottie had called. "He's asking for you Lou. Well, screaming." He heard his sister's shaky voice on the phone. "I'm sorry to wake you up but could you please come here?" 

"Of course. I'll be there in a few." Louis gulped as he hurried his ass out of the bed, making Zayn stir from his sleep. 

"Babe." He whined, trying to reach his arms out for Louis. 

"It... Zayn she's gone." Louis sniffled, "Harry's asking for me, I have to go." The man hurried to throw his clothes on, "You should've heard his screams." He shuddered and Zayn was quick on his feet to give his husband a tight hug. 

"Let me know if you need me and I'll call me mum yeah?" Louis nodded and with a one last hug the man hurried to his car to speed to the hospital. The screams could be heard all throughout the hallway, as soon as he stepped out of the elevator he heard them. Lottie stood there with tears in her eyes, immediately hugging her brother when he reached her. 

"He was... he was okay when it happened and he said goodbye, but, but when they took her away..." Lottie sniffled so Louis turned his head and his heart broke when he saw the small boy alone on the bed, sobbing like his life depended on it. The man carefully made his way towards the bed, the nurses that were trying to soothe the boy backed away and let Louis come closer and he could hear Harry mumble something trough his sobs, only catching the words 'mumma' and 'forever' and it broke his heart. 

Louis remembers when he lost his mother not too long ago, it was no doubt the worst time of his life, but Louis never had to go through what the boy had to; living with strangers all over the city, go to many different schools, and only visit his mum once a week. "Harry, darling." Louis spoke gently, his voice barely over a whisper. The boy stopped sobbing, only for a split second to open his eyes and look at Louis before his face crumpled again, but Louis' heart swelled when the boy lifted his arms up, like he wanted to be picked up. 

Louis didn't hesitate to grab the boy, placing him on his hip, and the boy stuffed his face into Louis' neck as he continued to sob. "Shh. I'm so sorry Harry." The man rubbed gentle circles on the boy's back as he walked around the room trying to soothe the boy. "Shh." He soothed but he knew it wasn't going to work, the boy needed his time.