nine

Harry had been asleep in Louis' lap for about two hours now, the man's arms had fallen asleep a couple of times and were getting quite sore but he just couldn't put the boy in his bed in case he would wake up. The boy needed his sleep, especially now, so Louis was going to sit on that sofa with Harry in his arms for as long as he had to. 

Liam was taking a small nap beside them, falling asleep on the third Toy Story movie which Louis wanted to switch off so badly but even the tiniest move could wake the small boy in his arms. 

Yesterday, Sunday, had been awful as the boy hadn't had a wink of sleep the previous night. Harry kept to himself in his room, even refusing Louis' touch and the man was going mental, he wanted to do something for the boy but he wouldn't let him. Zayn assured him that it was okay, Harry needed his alone time too and he would soon want comfort, which Zayn ended up being right about. When Louis entered the room on Sunday night to check on him, the boy sat sniffling on the middle of the bed, eyeing the man who was gathering the untouched food and juice glasses before he stuck his hands up for him, and Louis didn't waste a second, forgetting about the plates and scooped the sad boy into his embrace. 

They didn't talk, but Louis just swayed the boy gently, rubbing his back, getting him to finally fall asleep. The man ended up sleeping in Harry's room that night since he knew the boy would be uncomfortable in the master bedroom, but the night was short lived because Harry had woken up at about three in the morning and Louis was unsuccessful getting him back to sleep until about nine the following morning. 

"Hi baby, you feeling better?" Louis cooed when he saw Liam stir on the sofa, rubbing his tired eyes before shaking his head. "No?" The man placed a hand on the boy's warm forehead, Liam had woken up with a stomach bug so he had to stay home too. Louis was kind of hoping he would get alone time with Harry but of course if his babies get sick that's way more important. 

"I'll get you some more medicine, okay? Just be gentle around Harry." Louis placed the boy very carefully on the sofa so he could go in the kitchen and fetch some medicine for Liam. "When will Harry stop being sad, daddy?" Liam wondered after swallowing the nasty liquid and Louis just sighed, "I don't know baby, but it takes time." He looked back on the boy who was sleeping peacefully, his Elmo doll tight in his grip right under his nose and Louis just smiled before he was interrupted by his phone. 

"Hey Lottie." 

"Hey Lou. Listen, Anne will be cremated tomorrow so today is the last day if Harry wants to say a final goodbye." 

"Oh." Louis swallowed, "Like now? And do you think it's okay? Like, will he be traumatized?" 

"Uh, I'm not sure, but they've tucked her in a casket and she looks very peaceful, just like she's sleeping and there are no machines connected to her. I don't think it will be bad for him, I think he needs it." Lottie explained, "But let me just check and see when you can come." 

Louis waited as he heard his sister's faint conversation with another person in the room. "They say at noon and then they will move her somewhere." 

"That's in and hour Lottie, he's sleeping, he's finally sleeping." Louis looked behind him, seeing Harry start to stir and Liam slightly panicking, whipping his head in his father's direction. The man just sent him a comforting smile which seemed to ease Liam's nerves. "Liam's sick Lottie, I can't take him out and there's no one to take care of him." 

"Oh. Uhm, I could possibly try to come pick Harry up, I just need to do a quick interview at my office but I should be done before noon, then I can get someone from the office to stay with him for a while, I have so much to do today."