Chapter 1

Chapter 1

My name is Mary Watchers and I’m a Dragon Hunter.

I bet you think that will make this a good story,but this is is not a story. This is my life. This is a warning.

To clarify, think back to some major disasters. The London fire, for example, was a Magma Dragon.

There are several different types and classes of dragons; some are hunted, some are protected. the Elementals are the most dangerous. Elementals consist of Fires, Water, Wind and, of course, Earth.  

Fires are divided into four classes. Magmas are the top class, followed by Blazes, Sparks, and Embers. Embers are usually small pests who cause cooking to burst into flames at inopportune moments just for a laugh. the Water dragons have only two powerful classes, Typhoons and Monsoons. There’s a third, called Splashers, but they’re water dependent and are responsible for myths like the Loch Ness Monster.

Winds have Tornadoes, Hurricanes, and Gusts. the Tornadoes and the Hurricanes fight each other, trying to be the top class, so they’re not a real threat to us, except when the Tornadoes get in a snit, or the Hurricane rulers get bored. Trust me, a bored wind dragon is not funny and it is not a good thing. just look at what happened when Katrina blew through New Orleans. She was nasty, and took every available hunter to quiet.

Many species of dragons are protected, like the earth dragons and the precious metals and gems. There are other classes of dragons that are less conspicuous than Elementals, like the Vapors. Vapors don’t have classes so much as powers. They can produce different gases that can knock you out or even kill you in various nasty ways. but that brings me to the reason for my warning to you.

It all started when i was undercover in a high school looking for a Vapor. Now, you might be wondering why I was looking for a dragon in a high school. Dragons are shifters and can take different shapes. This one had taken the shape of a teenage girl and enrolled in high school. It shouldn’t be that hard to find, really, since dragon human shapes are unfailingly alluring. Chances were,my dragon would be beautiful, charismatic, outwardly friendly, and most likely surrounded by not-so-secret admirers. That would be a problem, since I had to get her alone to kill her, but it could be worked around.

I walked down the hall dressed as girlishly as possible while still being sensible and modest in a flowery top, jean skirt and leggings. My ear-length hair had a butterfly hair clip on one side. I tried to be inconspicuous, but that was ruined when i turned around, looking from the card in my hand to the signs above the door. I took a step backwards and bumped into someone so hard that my books went flying and I fell forward onto my hands and knees. “Whoa!”someone said behind me. “You okay?”

“I’m fine.” I said, resisting the urge to throttle whoever it was. Deciding to go in a different direction, I glanced at my watch. “But I’m late for class. I can’t be late for class. Oh,man.” I stood and looked around. “Where’s the math class? if I fail math, I’m dead.” I just needed someone to show me around, but the theatrics were a bonus.

“Okay. Calm down.” said the guy who’d sent my flying. “The math room is right there. I’ve got the same class, so if you need help after-”

“Thanks.”I adjusted my books in my arms and looked to see just who had knocked me over. He was cute,I guess. He had brown hair with natural highlights,sun tanned skin and seriously green eyes. He smiled at me. “Hi.” He said. Nice opener,buddy. But I smiled tightly in return. “Hi.”

“Um,I’m Dylan. Dylan Taylor.” He held out a hand.

“Mary Sears.” I said. “Nice to meet you.”Then I looked over his shoulder and my blood froze. Striding across the hall towards the math class was an exceptionally beautiful blonde with a slightly rounder but just as beautiful brunette by her side. I swallowed. “Where’s the bathroom?”