Chapter Seventeen

• Dedicated to Cheyenne Woods

 “don't.”I muttered as Dylan sat beside me.

“don't what?”

“don't tell me it's all gonna be okay.”

“I wasn't going to. In fact,we're more than likely doomed.”

“thanks. That's so comforting.”I muttered.

“it's not supposed to be. Mary,we're going up against an unknown enemy. With unknown power and numbers. I'm not gonna pretend that I like those odds.”

“I'm supposed to be the pessimist. You're supposed to be supportive and optimistic,telling me we can beat them--”

“we can beat them.”I looked over at him,my mouth open. He smiled and shook his head before putting a finger under my jaw and pushing it closed. “I'm not just saying that,Mary. Yes,they're powerful. yes,they're evil. yes they have the numbers. But we have you. And you have your family.”

“thank you,Dylan,but I don't think--”

“not just your parents,uncle,and cousin. Think about who your grandfather is. Your great-grandfather. You're a dragon,Mary.”

“is that supposed to be a compliment?”

“actually,yes.”

“failed.”

he laughed. “Mary, I know you don't like the idea,but it's who you are.”

“it's not the idea that bothers me,Dylan. The idea is exciting. The reality,though... I'm not human. Do you know how hard that is for me? Not only has my life been a series of lies and deceptions,I'm not even human!”I went to stand up as I ranted and,instead of letting me,Dylan caught me and turned me to face him before kissing me. I probably looked like I'd been stupefied when he pulled away. I sat back on my heels and stared at him, not at all sure how to react. Dylan snapped me out of it when he grinned and said, “quiet at last.”at which point I smacked him over the head and got up. I turned away from him and went to join my parents,who were talking with Kio and Cassidee. “--not right now.”

“what's up?”I asked,sitting with a sigh between my parents and putting an arm around both their shoulders.

“Cassidee thinks she knows where Ignus is going next.”

“when we were Shifted into guards,we saw a map. The lines drawn led straight from this area here.”she spread a map of Oklahoma,and pointed to where the isolated industrial building we'd rescued Charity and Chance from was located. “straight to here.”she pointed to another area. “it's a huge valley free of trees or anything that might hinder,say,an army of dragons with hundred foot wingspans.”

I felt cold as she said this. “an army?”

“we saw the security monitors,and the whole place was crawling with people. Since Mother isn't prone to keeping the company of humans,I can only assume that they are dragons.”

at that moment,the trees behind me rustled and I spun around,drawing the knife from my leg sheath and holding it crossways in front of me. A moment later,someone fell from the bushes,a mess of black hair flipping over and sprawling in front of her as she fell,barely catching herself on her palms, elbows bent. Even without seeing her face,I recognized that mass of hair. “Raven!”I rushed forward and pulled her to her feet.

“Mary,thank Valor's Light.”she was exhausted and out of breath. Her black hair that matched her name was tangled,unruly,and dull. Which didn't fit with the Raven I knew. She somehow managed to keep her hair sleek,neat,and shining.

“I escaped.”she panted. “they had me locked in a-in dark,horrible room.” suddenly,she burst into tears. “they killed everyone.”she sobbed. “they would have killed me, too.”