Chapter Fourteen

I stared at the back of her head. “excuse me? 'aunt'?”

Ryder sighed and rubbed his face. “Mary,meet my sister,Caroline Tenner. Your aunt.”

“why don't I know about this? I mean,I knew about Mick. Any other family members you wanna tell me about?”I looked at Mom,who held up her hands. “don't look at me. I'm an only child,I'm innocent.”

Carol laughed. “the reason you haven't heard of me,sweetie,is I left the so-called 'family business'. While Mick and Ryder went on to lead houses of hunters, I, on the other hand,went to college,got a job,had a normal life.”

“had?”

her eyes darkened.“you can't leave Hunting for good when you've already made enemies doing it. A week ago,A Tornado tracked me down. It killed my family,and would have killed me too if I didn't still have that Storm Trapper.”

“I told you it would come in handy.”Ryder said.

“yes,you did. And now I have my car,my purse,a trapped Tornado,and a family that I can't bury because I'll be killed if I go back there. So,I called Mick,and he told me where you guys were.”

“and that's why you're here?”

“yes.”

“Carol,”Ryder said slowly. “I'm sorry about your family,but you couldn't have shown up at a better time.”

“stop it.”she snapped.

Ryder looked taken aback. “what?”

“not you,her.”she was looking at me in the mirror. “I can see him. He's staring at me.”

“wait,you can see Valgoth?”

“Valgoth? It's Valgoth? I knew you had a Tur'hern,but I didn't know it was Valgoth. Where in his name did you find him?”

I grinned,looking away. “Oklahoma.”

“really. That means you're his descendant as well? So,”as we stopped at a light, she turned to look at Mom. “Ellen Watchers has a big bad secret,huh?”

“nice to see you,too,Carol.”

“hold on,back up a sec,”I said. “what's a Tur'hern?”

“translated from the First Language of the Dragons,it literally means 'second soul'. Some people just call 'em hitchhikers. And,before you ask how I can see them,I have no idea. It's just something I've been able to do my entire life.”

“are there a lot of people with...Hitchhikers?”

“more than you'd think.”

“okay.”

she smiled in the mirror. “thought you knew a lot about the world,didn't you,kid?”

“I've learned to expect the unexpected.”I replied.

She nodded. “good answer.”

“alright,so what now?”

don’t trust her. I heard the quick warning from Valgoth.

why? I questioned,but he was silent again. Aunt Carol frowned at me in the mirror. I just smiled casually.

we holed up in an old house that was falling apart at the seams. Carol lit candles that were already arranged throughout the house. obviously this wasn’t her first time here. it was getting cold at nights,so we all camped out in the ruined living room. when I fell asleep,I found myself standing in a field. “what is this?”