Chapter 11

“what have you done?”my friends parted and i saw Melissa standing there, looking horrified. she rushed past them and fell to her knees beside the man. “forgive me,Grandfather. I have failed you. i tried to stop them.”she had started to cry. “I really tried. please,forgive me. forgive me…”

“why didn’t you tell us that Max was Helgoth’s host?”

“Helgoth? i thought we were trying to find Valgoth.”Dylan said.

“we are.”

“then,how do you know this is Helgoth?”

“i just do. I’ll know when I’m in Valgoth’s presence.”

“it doesn’t matter.”Melissa screeched. “she’s right. you found Helgoth’s host.”

“so,where’s Valgoth?”

Melissa stood and turned a red-eyed stare at us. “you came here looking for Valor?”she hissed. “are you completely insane?”at the confusion on our faces,she spread her arms. “Valor and Hellfire would never be buried together!”she yelled at us. “their conflicting energies would destroy each other! why didn’t you ask me? i could have told you.

“well,”Cassidee said, “you were being kind of a--”

“hey,”i snapped before she could finish. “so,if Valgoth isn’t here,where is he?”

“I don’t know. my family is of Helgoth’s blood,thus,i guard him.”she gestured to Max. “if you want to find Valgoth,seek out his blood.”

“I am his blood. and he led me here.”

“i mean the blood that guards him.”she said,like i was stupid. then she sighed. “look,”she dug in her pocket and tugged on something. “all i have is a number. i don’t know whose it is or anything. it’s only supposed to be for emergencies. like if someone breaches the vault. but,of course,you four idiots have,so it counts.”she handed me the card. “just be careful. you know what will happen if you wake Valgoth,right?”

“we wake Helgoth,too. but there are things you don’t know. I’m sorry i can’t explain it all,but,unless some very evil beings succeed in their plan,Helgoth is too weak in that form to do much of anything.”

“and how would you stop them from succeeding?”

“by not surrendering to them. they need me,and they will never have me.”

“for the sake of the world,i hope so.” Melissa’s smile was genuine as she clasped my hand and shoulder. “good luck,Mary Watchers.”

before i turned completely,i stopped and turned back. “um,please tell me there’s another way out besides past the Wraith?”

she laughed. “yeah. come on,I’ll show you.”

when we were in the car and Melissa had said her goodbyes,i pulled out the card. i glanced at my friends,locking eyes with Dylan who nodded. pulling my phone from my pocket,i dialed the number. the ringing seemed to go on forever,but then, “Hello?”the familiar voice sent chills down my spine. i took a trembling breath and managed a single word. “Mom?”

“Mary? how do you have this number?”i snatched the phone away from my ear and hit end. i locked eyes with Dylan again. “we have to go to Houston. My mom has some explaining to do.”

we drove all day. it was midnight when we finally reached the House. and, even then, they wouldn’t wake my parents. so, i took the chance to get a good night’s rest. the next day,i was led outside to an inner yard,where the smell of horses and leather hit me like a wave. the guy who brought me there told me to wait and disappeared into the crowd. a guy on a horse charged by,nearly barreling me over. i reeled back and coughed,waving my hand in front of my face to disperse the dust. “hey,Idiot,watch where you’re going!”i shouted at him. he ignored me and i soon lost sight of him. “Mary,”Ryder was making his way through the crowd. “Dad!”i waved and went to meet him. “what are you doing here?”he asked.