Chapter 10

i was back in the house. in Ryder’s office. “oh,for pete’s sake.”i sighed. “what now,Valgoth?”

“you can’t do it.”i spun around to see him in the doorway.

“can’t do what?”

“it’s too dangerous.”

“waking you up instead of your psycho brother is too dangerous?”

“you don’t get it!”he came forward so suddenly that i nearly tripped trying to back away. “there is no ‘instead of’. there is no either-or. you can’t wake me without waking him. you can’t do this!”for the first time,i was truly scared of him. his eyes were blazing brighter than the actual sun. i cringed back,my hands gripping the desk behind me. then he backed off. i took a trembling breath and straightened. “so,if your waking up will wake him as well,waking him--”

“would stir me,too. and Ignus knows this,which is why she chose you for Helgoth’s new form.”he just stopped himself from punching the wall. “you’re strong,in many ways,but your greatest protection is your blood.”

“what does that mean?”he shook his head,but i stepped forward. “no,no, Valgoth, Valor, what does that mean?”

“before Helgoth and i were put to sleep,shall we say, a Blood-seal was created to protect us,and our descendants, from the other. i could not harm anyone with Helgoth’s blood,nor can he harm anyone with mine. you combine both,so neither of us can harm you.”

“i still don’t understand.”

“we cannot harm each other’s or our own descendants,but there is a gap in the spell.”he met my gaze with his sunfire eyes. “they can harm us.”

“so, if Helgoth…”i gulped,then forced myself to continue. “if Helgoth took my body,my mind,he could hurt you,kill you,even,but you couldn’t do a thing to retaliate?”he nodded. “what the heck kind of bunk spell is that?” to my surprise,he failed to suppress a smile and starting laughing silently. “it was well intended.”he said,still with that smile. i closed my eyes and laughed reluctantly. “how is this funny?”i asked. “he could kill you. by my hand. which means i--”

“i can’t stay any longer.”he said,suddenly serious. i opened my eyes. “I’ve contacted you too often. it will start to draw attention.”

“are you going to force me awake again?”

“no. you still need rest. I’ll leave you for now. I’ll be here if you need me again. but,for now,my child,”he put his hand on my forehead as if taking my temperature. “sleep.”my eyes drifted shut against my will. when i opened them again,i wasn’t in the car. i was laying down,though. i felt cold,hard dirt underneath me. i sat up,looking around for any sign of my friends. “hello?”

“help me.”the little girl’s voice was close. i got up,looking around frantically. then i froze. a slimy,scaly creature was standing close by. i knew enough to recognize a Beron Dragon,a seriously deadly,rare class of Earth that wasn’t hunted or protected because it had been over a century since someone saw one. but i had, once,and I never forgot it… the Beron started walking toward me. i tensed,sure i was about to have to fight for my life bare-handed. but he walked right through me. i wasn’t substantial. i was like a ghost. the Beron didn’t even blink. “okay,”i breathed. then i looked towards the rock formation directly in front of me. no way. i walked around it and saw a ten year old girl. she had hair to her shoulders,black. her eyes were hidden because she had them squeezed shut and was breathing hard. i stared at her,feeling like I’d just gotten the air sucked out of me. the little girl was me.

i knelt in front of her,knowing she couldn’t see me if she looked. glancing down,i saw the crossbow in her lap. then i looked around. it was my first hunt,and Ryder had been here. so where was he now? i couldn’t make myself remember…