Chapter 10

Chapter 10

Jamie's POV

I arrive at Government Headquarters a few hours later. I wipe away tears from before and ignore the fact that I have just abandoned my weak mother. And even if it was to protect her

That doesn't make me the perfect daughter.

Government Headquarters is one of the nicest places in town. It has seven working floors full of government facility's and the brainwashed guards like my father. To a normal citizen, it is a place we all strive to go, a safe haven. But I know the truth. You are never safe in this world. You are never apart from the torture that lies within those seven floors of cruelty. I know what goes on in those halls. Torture. Accusations. Prisons. Chos.

Suddenly I panick. What am I doing here? What have I become?

I am only sure of one thing. Why I came here and what I must do.

For my brother

For my mother

For my distant dad who I now will never fully return to the father he once was to me.

I wipe away the last tear I promise myself I will shed and walk up to the shiny metal door that will surely set off alarms. That trigger guards. That arm guns. That have one mission.

My hands on the doorknob now. Bella cowers back instead of pushing me forward as she usually does. Just as I begin to turn the doorknob a familiar voice recognizably close makes me jerk back. "Jack?" I say bewildered. "Jack!" I yell again not hiding the enthusiasm from my scratchy voice. Broken from loss, running and silently sobbing in the woods I scream his name again desperate for an answer.

"Jamie!" He yells as dead leaves scrunch beneath his feet. I run toward the sound of his voice laughing with relief as he picks me up and I hug him. Hard. Laughing like an idiot. And I don't let go.

My brother whom I thought was long gone and livid at me for getting him into this horrible mess. But no. He standing right before me crying in happiness as we comprehend the truth.

We are alive.

We are survivors.

We are rebels.

As he finally puts me down and I release my strong grip of a hug, I see a wave of blonde hair yards behind him.

Oh no. No no no!! I have come this close to finding my brother after missing him for so long, and now a government officer is going to shoot us? I start to pant deeply and lean against the shiny door for support.

"Jamie, what is it?" He says with worry easily showing through his voice.

After all this time he still cares about me.

I point to the blonde figure suddenly getting closer.

"Oh Marge?" He laughs his crackly laugh and I know everything is going to be alright.

The blonde - Marge moves forward cautiously clutching to a stick as a crutch.

"The names Marge." She says as she reaches me extending her hand but reading my cautious expression wipes it on her shirt instead. "So are you gonna stand there of help us kick some government butt, sweetie?" She adds sarcastically recognizing I am smaller and weaker.

"Fine." I say, ignoring her snobby remark.

"So here's the plan...." I begin ready for whatever this may bring.