Internet Friend?

River: Hey Ryan guess what.

{10 mins ago}

Me: what?

River: I met a girl.

Me: Oh nice? What's she like?

River: She's got brown hair green eyes and she's so beautiful. She's so funny too!

{5 mins ago}

Me: She sounds beautiful. Where'd you meet her?

{15 mins ago}

River: Well, I  haven't really met her yet... But i want to.

Me: What do you mean??

River: I found her on instagram.

Me: Instagram? So you dont actually know if this girl is real? or even a real girl?

River: No! I know she's real, we talk all of the time and i have her on snapchat. sometimes she posts selfies to her story.

Me: Does she send selfies to you?

River: No, But i think it's because she's nervous.

Me: How old is "she" Supposed to be?"

River: a year younger than us. 16.

Me: Where does she live...?

River: In Virginia.

Me: Thats 3 hours away from us.

Me: Look, just be careful. make sure you figure out she's real.

River: Shes as real as they come! just be happy for me dude.

Me: I am.

{2 days ago}

River: Ryan.

River: Dude.

Me: What.

River: Guess who I'm going to meet tonight!

Me: Really? Where?

River: In Virginia

Me: Who's going with you??

[Deleted message]

[Deleted message]

[Deleted message]

River: Just me. Dont tell anyone. my parents dont even know.

Me: What the fuck! She could be a 50 year old man.

River: Dude! No shes not. Ik it...

River: Anyways. I told my parents I was staying at your house for the night. please cover for me. I cant wait to meet her!

Me: No! I dont want to be responsible for that!

River: Please? C'mon man. i finally found a girl i like and she likes me too.

Me: Fine. Dont do anything stupid. be safe. text me when you get there.

River: Okay, daaad.

Me: Im just looking out for you.

{5 hours ago}

River: Im here.

River: Im super nervous. what if she doesnt like me? what if she thinks im ugly.

Me: She wont. Youre fine dude. Everyone in school likes you.

River: Her car is pulling up.

Me: Where did you decide to meet?

Me: Somewhere public?

{30 mins ago}

Me: River are you there?

{1 hr ago}

Me: Dude. I hope you're having fun. catch me up in the morning.

{8 hours ago}

Me: So, How was last night? What happened?

{24 mins ago}

River: He's gone. Ryan please call the cops.

Me: Who's gone?! where is River?!

River: This is River. That "girl" i met up with, wasnt a girl. Please send help. He's threatennnnnnnnnnnnnnnm

Me: Are you okay? Im calling the police!

{10 mins ago}

Me: done! They're tracing the phone.

Me: what happened last night?

River: Before he gets back, ill tell you.

River: When the car pulled up i noticed an older man driving the vehicle. i thought it mightve been her dad. He had gray hair and he kinda looked like my neighbor. which is weird because i thought she said shed come alone. Anyways, I greeted the man and asked where Brittney was. and he hit me with something and now im in a house.

River: He doesnt know i have my phone on me though.

Me: Did he do anything else to you?!

{10 mins ago}

River: Not yet.

River: I hear a car, Im turning off the phone.

Me: Okay, Cops are tracing your phone

{50 mins ago}

================================================================================

"And You said that you didn't hear from him since?" The prosecutor questioned me.

"Yes." I answered. Why was I sweating?

"What were you doing April 6th 2017? The night you called the police telling them that River was in danger..." He asked me.

"I was home all day. I was planning on enjoying my day off from work. I was texting River all day. But then i became worried about River-" I was interrupted.

"Really?" He asked turning towards the jury.

"Because phone records state that River was at your house at 7pm, Just 3 hours before he met 'Brittney'"

I was left speechless.

"Also, YOUR phone records say that you weren't home all day. You were only at your house until 7pm... Just like river."

"Your phone traces followed Rivers." He said.

"It said You and River's phone went out to the city then went to your house after you stopped hearing from him."

"So, No... Ryan. You weren't home all day. You planned your best friend's death all day. He never got to meet 'Brittney' because YOU told him over the phone that you'd take him to meet Brittney. to be safe. But really you took him to an ally and beat him to death with a bat. Your bat. That you CLAIMED to have given to River."

The judge interrupted,"How do we know he actually left his house, and that someone didnt just take his phone to blackmail him?"

"He just admitted that he had been texting 'River' all day. Thing is, is he wasnt texting River. He was texting from both phones planning out a good alibi. Which obviously failed." The man said.

"You even tried to frame your own neighbor..." He said, as i looked at my neighbor behind me. He shook his head.

"I DIDNT DO THIS!! I DIDNT" I yelled

"Yes you did. We have all of the proof." The man said.

"Even your own parents said you werent home after 7."

Suddenly everything hit me. I remembered.

I did do this.