Why I Do It

"And where the hell you been?"

"Eating breakfast with Rob."

"That fat ass faggot friend of yours?"

"His name is Rob, and yes he's my friend, the only friend I have."

"And thats only because he's gay. So don't get ahead of yourself."

"Enough about me, where have you been?" I folded my arms, sometimes I stood up to Zeke when I had the energy.

"Out with some friends."

"The drug dealer friends?" I rolled my eyes putting my waffle I had left over in the fridge. "I don't understand why you don't at least sell drugs."

"That lame shit"

"Lame? At least their bringing money in, all you do is sit on your ass."

"aLl yOu dO iS sIt oN yOUr aSs."

I rolled my eyes at him and went to my room, I was still kind of tired, so maybe I needed a long long nap

"Zeke! You lied to me!"

"I didn't, well I did but if you wasn't fucking with that August nigga, none of this would've happened!"

I jumped up from my dream because I had to get up from that, it had me mad when I woke up. I dreamt I caught Zeke cheating on me which would probably never happen cause nobody wanted his ass and it wasn't because he wasn't attractive, he was very attractive and that was what attracted me. Zeke has a caramel complexion, nice hair and he's tall maybe 6'5, he played basketball in high school he had an offer but ended up fucking that up when he got into some trouble, he ended up losing his mom and that made it worse. I knew him back in high school but we never talked until afterwards. I felt bad for him and I helped him every since then, but now im starting to feel like I can't help him, if he doesn't help himself.

"Whats wrong baby." Zeke moved around in the bed still half sleep.

"Nothing, bad dream." I laid in the bed for 10 minutes after the dream and I moved out of it slowly trying not to wake Zeke.

I tip toed to my drawer pulling out some workout pants, i'll just go on a jog to get my mind off things. It had to be 3 or 4 in the morning. I grabbed my cellphone and went to the bathroom to put my hair up. When I came out Zeke was standing by the window.

"Where the hell you going?"

"I- I was just going on a jog."

"A jog? Since when did you jog?! You trying to run away from me Tia?! Huh!"

I stuttered and shook my head no, but he wasn't haven't it. He took a vase from the nightstand and threw it at the wall nearly hitting me. I got on the floor and screamed for him to stop but that didn't make him give in. He jumped across the bed and started tossing me around.

"You leaving? Huh!"

"NO! Zeke please!"

I remembered I had bought some pepper spray for my own safety a couple weeks back. I crawled to my purse fumbling for the spray, moments before he tried to touch me again. I sprayed him. He cried in agony and I got up enough strength to get up and RUN. I made sure I had everything I needed cause I promise this was going to be the last time I see him.

He yelled after me and I was down the stairs you would think these neighbors would be out by now but this neighborhood had shit going on like this all the time, they just mind their business cause the last person that got involved in something like this, the guy ended up shooting the neighbor. My hands shook as I tried to put my key in the ignition but they made it.

Where to go, what to do, who do I call. August

No no no, I can't- no Tia you need to call August. When I sped out of my place I dialed August and a voice mumbled through the phone. I sniffed trying to hold back that something was wrong, well who am I kidding something is wrong.

"August?"

"Yo? Who this?"

"Its Tia... and I need your help."