XI

Your POV:
Peter stopped in the middle of the sidewalk. I assumed he was staring at me. It was dark, and we had reached the part of the walk back to my house without streetlights.
"Why'd you stop?" I asked pausing a couple feet in front of him.
He walked a couple steps forward and pulled me close before placing a kiss on my lips.
I released a slight laugh,
"What are you doing?" I questioned while absorbing some energy into my fingertips, creating a warm glow that revealed the grin strung across his face.
"I'm slowing down, Firefly."
I raised a brow,
"Firefly?"
"Yeah."
He continued on his way and added,
"You glow like a firefly."
I laughed and took his hand as we walked back to my house.
We were silent when we arrived, careful not to wake my grandmother. He lifted me up onto my window ledge, where I sat savoring the last sights of him before he would leave me for the night.
"I'll see you at graduation tomorrow," he said looking up at me.
"Alright. Thanks for a fun night, Quicksilver."
"Anything for you, Firefly."
And in an instant he was gone, undoubtedly already home.
I entered my room, expecting the rest of my house to be quiet. But through the door I could hear my grandmother and sense panic, as well as other unfamiliar voices.
I walked out of my bedroom and my grandma was at the dinning table, speaking to some police officers. She noticed me standing there after a few minutes had passed,
"Oh, ___. I'm sorry to have woken you, honey."
"What's going on?"
"It's just terrible, terrible. You know that Bo down the street? The one with the music shop?"
Fear built up in my chest.
"Yeah...what about him?"
"Well Nancy from down the street was looking for some records at his shop and discovered he was a mutant! A mutant on our very own street, lying and keeping secrets from us. We could've died!"
The police officer next to her patted her hand to calm her down.
"What happened to Bo? Where is he?" I questioned.
"Don't you worry, dear. He's locked away. I called the cops and got him far away from here."
My eyes went wide,
"They arrested him? For what?"
"Being a danger to the community, lying to us all...what else?"
I took a deep breath in attempts to calm myself down.
"I'm now conducting a neighborhood inspection to find any more of those destructive mutant freaks. I'm not stopping until they're all gone."
"How will you even know who's mutant?"
"By keeping a close eye. Anyone hiding a secret is bound to slip up sometime, and that's when we get them..."
I nervously bit my lip.
She was right.
I was bound to slip up sometime.