The Girl with The Glasses

Three days after and I was still in the hospital but I would be leaving in a week. During this, I spent time learning to use my wheel chair and dealing with the phantom pains. In my room there was another amputee victim. He introduced himself on the first day I arrived.Unlike me, he had had an accident at the top of some mountains snowboarding and the rescue team took a while to find him. The cold gave him frostbite but the most severe was his leg. When he arrived it too didn't survive.
"But he can still get a prosthetic. I can't." I selfishly thought to myself. It was wrong I know but I couldn't help but feel jealous. Either way he left three days before I left. But just before he left he stopped at the door.
"Hey listen," he started.
"I know about you being shall we say envious of my situation but let's be on honest here. You'd rather much just not have lost you ability to walk. But I do believe things happen for a reason, so whatever ever the reason is be thankful. You may have lost your legs but you be gaining something else in the future," he said
"Thank you, and well I'm sorry about being jealous about all of this." I apologized.
"Hey no problem. Take care and just remember things will get better."
With that he rolled out the door on his wheelchair.
The next three days were a bit lonely and they were some of the harder ones I had on that hospital. I was alone because my sister was studying for her SAT's to graduate high school and mom had to work to be able to take care of us, so I spent most of my time alone in the hospital. That's how I met the girl with the glasses. At first it was just an accident I had stayed out in the hospital's garden for a bit too long and got tired. So I rolled over to my room but I took a wrong turn and I ran right into her.
" Hey! Watch where you're going!"she started.
"Oh I'm sorry. I hadn't realized but I took a wrong turn somewhere and now I'm really tired and extremely lost," I yawned.
"No I should apologize. I didn't mean to snap at you I've just been very busy and frustrated with my work," she said.
"Oh so you work here? Would you mind telling me where my room is?" I asked.
"Well if it's on this floor I wouldn't mind taking you myself, that is if you like," she offered.
"I wouldn't want to take you from your work," I started.
"Oh no don't worry about it. I'm done for today. I was actually leaving when you ran me over. I'll happily take you to your room," she assured.
"Thank you so much. I think that the lack of sleep is finally getting to me," I said.
"Well that isn't good. You need your sleep. A fine woman such as yourself can let herself be worn out by the lack of a beauty sleep you know."
I looked at her with a puzzled look, trying to see if she had realized what she had said.
"Oh sorry was that too forward? It's just that I'm used to people being ok with me acting this way," she explained with a blush.
"No no it's ok I was just taken aback by the way you said that. May I ask why?"
"Oh well it's simple. I'm a lesbian," she explained.
"Oh really?" I responded.
"Yeah, it's ... it's something alright."
"Well this room is mine. Thanks for bringing me to my room after I got to stupidly lost," I thanked her with a chuckle.
"No no it was my pleasure. I wanted anything really to keep me from going home honestly."
"And why is that or is that to personal?"
"Um ... anyway thanks for this time. I really enjoyed the chat short as it was. I um I never got your name by the way.?" she questioned.
"Oh it's Hazel like the eye color." I answered
"Nice to meet you Hazel, I'm Diana. I um I study slash work in the study of advanced prosthetic."
"Oh that's why you were on this floor?"
"Um yeah anyway um I'm going to head out. I'll... uh... I'll see you later" she said in a rushed goodbye.
"No wait come back did I... and she's out the door."
The next few days between us were ok. I didn't bring up anything from that day, and we started to get along. We talked about my favorite pastimes, our favorite movies and tv shows, and things we had in common. The day I was meant to leave we were talking and the subject of my legs rose up. I was purposely avoiding that topic but some how it came and I decided to let it slide.
"So um I know that you can't have any prosthetic due to your legs and the situation they are in but you know I'm studying advanced prosthetic right?"
"Um yes I do know that, but I mean what can you do for me? I mean I have a fraction of both my legs . What could you possibly do for me?"
"I could help you. I could try some of the legs we have and..."
At this moment my mom walked in. It is known that my mom runs to conclusions. And worse she hadn't met Diana yet.
"NO! I won't allow you to put ideas into my daughter's head. I don't want her having false hope in something that won't work, it simply just won't work!"
"Mom how dare you walk in like that and talk to Diana in such a way."
"No Hazel it's alright. She's right. We shouldn't get out hopes up," Diana said.
"Thank you," my mom said.
"But I'm not done," Diana continued.
"My offer is up for grabs but your daughter in no ways has to say yes."
"And we thank you but she won't-"
"Yes I'll do it," I said.
"HAZEL!"exclaimed my mom.
"Alright then but as your mother said you can't have your hopes go up too high. This is experimental prosthetic of course."
"I understand the chance I'm taking here but I want to try. And if there's any chance of me walking again I want to give it a shot," I assured her.
"Fine then if you want to do this Hazel if you want to do, this do it but I won't help with any off it," my mom said with a stern tone.
"That is entirely alright, Mrs. Sodoma. She won't have to pay a single thing," said Diana.
I had to try my best to both try not to laugh as my mother walked off to the car and cry at the fact that I just did what I did. One thing was sure though: there was no turning back.