Chapter 24

Tris POV

    We get home and Tobias immediately walks towards the hallway, going into a different room. He sat far away from me in the car as we were coming back and hasn't said another word. He refuses to make eye contact with me and whenever I try to get close to him he goes the other way. I want to be there for him, but I need to know what's going on with him first.

Tobias POV

    I stand in the bathroom in front of a mirror. I am Tobias Eaton. I am not my father. I am not Marcus. I am Tobias. Tobias Eaton. Tobias.

    The mirror shows the reflection of myself. I have overcome so much. I have survived everything thrown my way. I survived being abused for years by my father. I survived my mother's 'death'. I am a stronger person.

    The longer I stand in the mirror the more I start to see Marcus in front of me. I see certain features I have of him. I shake my head and eventually they start to dissolve away. It's all in my head. I'm not my father, I am Tobias Eaton.

    I will never do what he has done. I could not hurt my loved ones like that... not my children. Tris. She's pregnant. Soon there's going to be a little child running around the place. What happens if he needs to be disciplined? What am I going to do?

    My eyes wander back to the mirror and in front of me stands Marcus Eaton. I gasp and take a step back, Marcus follows my actions. "You can't be here!"  I yell as I stare at the mirror.

    He smiles. I remember that smile for anywhere. It was the smile he had before he beat me. I step backwards and hit the wall, this can't be happening.

    A few more blinks and I'm staring at myself in the reflection. The scared look on my face says it all. I am not turning into my father. I refuse to turn into him.

    I yell at the mirror and he flashes on the mirror again, I hit it to get rid of him. He shatters right in front of me as pieces of glass start to fall down. "GET AWAY FROM ME AND TRIS. GET OUT OF MY LIFE." I yell louder.

    I punch the mirror again and see more pieces fall. He's disappearing right in front of my eyes. "I'M NOT YOU!" I yell as I keep hitting. He can't control my life no more. He has no control over me. I will not end up like him or even act like him.

    All of a sudden I notice Tris pulling at my shirt. I look at her and see she has tears in her eyes. She's saying something but I can't hear her, I just pull her in my arms and try to forget any of this happened.

6.21.17

Dedicated to @wildborn28 & @quirky_canine13 for reminding me to post! Crazy how it's been over a month but I promise to be better about it!

<4