Chapter 23- Lost in Past Memories

"Try not to yell at her okay." Mizuki told Tomoe as we entered Nanamis Tori gate.
"Her soul must have gotten lost somewhere." Tomoe told me. ignoring Mizuki.
"You do know it's forbidden to pass though someone else's gate right?"
"I'm sure the year god will understand." I stated as I followed next to Tomoe. "Besides we don't have a choice."

"So where do we suppose her soul is?" Tomoe asked no one in particular.
"No idea." Mizuki and I replied in unison.

Just as we said this, a small shadow of a girl came running towards us and out of the clouds. She ran straight past us and into another cloud.
"That's Nanami!" Mizuki announced pointing in her direction.
"I realise that!" Tomoe snapped before running past after her.
"Looks like her soul has gone back twelve years in time. In theroy she should go back to normal after we exit the tori gates." I explained chasing after them.

Nanami stopped abruptly and we stopped to. Before her stood a tall man with short brown hair. We was holding a cigarette in his left hand.
"Nanami. On your way home from school."
"Hi daddy." That's Nanamis father!
"What you got there?"
"I got a bag of bread crust!" Nanami stated excitedly holding a plastic bag out. "I'm bringing it home to mummy!" The man laughed and crouched down.
"I got something you would like better." He reached into his jacket and produced a chocolate block, giving it to Nanami.
"Yummy! Thanks daddy!" Nanami took the chocolate.
"I won it at the pachinko parlour. It's a prize just for you." He stood up and walked away. "I got to go. I finally won the jackpot. So let mum know that I won't be back for a while."

"That basted." I muttered and prepared to attack him before Tomoe gripped my arm.
"It's no use. It's just a memory." I sighed and took a step back wards.
"Where's Mizuki?"
"Nanami." Mizukis voice came from in front. What is he doing? "There you are. The tiny version of you is so cute to. Come on. Let's go home okay." He smiled at her.
"Kidnapper!" Nanami shouted. I took my opportunity and ran in front of her.
"Let's get out of here shall we." I offered my hand and ran her away from Mizuki acting like I was saving her.
"Who are you?" Nanami asked.
"I'm a magical princess but you can just call me Kaiyō." I smiled at her.
"No your not. Magic doesn't exist!"
"Your a smart girl. My names Kaiyō. If you want I can escort you home so that kidnapper doesn't try to get you again."
"Sure!" Nanami smiled at me and lead me to her house. She opened the chocolate block her father gave her and handed it to me.

We made our way to and apartment block and went up a few flights.

"I'm so sorry." I woman in a green sweater and jeans apologised to the three people before her. Nanami paused at the top of the stair case and watched the three people shouted the woman. She had brown hair which led me to believe that she was Nanamis mother.
"Come on. Are you going to pay up or what? I saw your husband hanging around the pachinko parlour this morning. If he has enough money to gamble then you can pay your rent!"
"Your two whole months behind on the rent now." The lady amongst the two other men stated.
"I'm sorry. I promise. I'll have my husband pay you all by Monday."
"Like I'll believe that. This isn't the first time we've had to ask you to pay us." Realisation hit Nanami and she suddenly though the chocolate away, wiping her chocolate stained hands on her dress.
"I promise. You will have the money by Monday." Her mother said desperately.
"Very well then. But if we don't have the money I will kick you out."

"Thank you. You have my deepest apologies." The three people left and Nanas mother turned around. "Nanami your home."
"Mummy!" Nanami ran to her mothers arms and she wiped the chocolate of Nanamis face. The mother realised my presence and looked up at me.
"Who are you?"
"My names Kaiyō Sukuna. I..."
"She saved me from being kidnapped!" Nanami announced.
"Really?"
"Luckily I was around when it happened." I smiled. I hated lying but it's just a memory. It was then that I realised that something wasn't right. Nanamis mother was sick.

I always wondered why Nanami never mentioned her parents. Now I know why. One gambled and snuck away in the night while the other one stayed just to die.

"Anyway. I better go." I said before starting to walk away.
"No wait. Let me thank you."
"Please it's nothing."
"Please come inside for some tea. It would be the least I could do."
"I don't what to intrude. Don't force yourself to thank me."
"Please. Your not intruding."
"Please." Nanami asked. I sighed in defeat.
"If you insist." I followed them into their tiny apartment.
"My name is Kumimi Mamozino. This is Nanami."
"I know. I heard you call her by her name." Kumimi gave me some earl grey tea and I thanked her.

After about and hour I thanked her and left to find Tomoe and Mizuki siting on the roof of the building opposite the apartment.
"What are you guys doing here?"
"Looking for you. Besides we have to get Nanami back." Mizuki popped into his human form.
"She'll be going to sleep soon. We take her then. Simple." I Shrugged and sat next to Tomoe and waited.
"Can we take our time. I wish to continue learning things about Nanami." Tomoe said while we stared into the window.
"Sure. Tomorrow then." I smiled, snuggled into into his shoulder and watched Nanami with her mother. It wasn't long before I fell asleep.

🌊~

Sorry that it took me so long to publish a new chapter. Last week of school and all of my exams are this week. The good news is I'll be able to write more on the holidays.

Please tell me what else you would like to see in the book and I'll see if I can incorporate some ideas.

Sorry for any grammar or spelling mistakes.

Thanks for reading!

Mizuki259
(1060 Words)