Background: The World of Grimm

This story takes place at the end of the season 5 finale, so if you watch Grimm and aren't up to that point yet, there are spoilers ahead. 

Quick summary that everyone should read --> When the chapter begins, Nick is in his house being attacked by multiple Wesen that Bonaparte sent to kill him. Bonaparte wants Nick and his friends dead because they are screwing up his plans. Bonaparte also wants a book that Nick has. Nick's book is a family tree of Grimms (Grimm Ancestry Book) that could give Bonaparte all the names he would need if he wanted to make the Grimms his slaves or exterminate them all. Nick has Rosalee hide the book in the shop she owns. Trubel knows that Nick has this important book. Nick is injured during the fight to the point where he almost dies. Luckily, Trubel helps him, and he has a magical object referred to as "the stick" which has the ability to heal people. 

While Nick is fighting, his friends, Wu, Hank, Trubel, Eve, Monroe and Rosalee, are hiding in a secret tunnel/passage through the wall of Nick's house. Eve is upset because she had been injured, becoming physically and emotionally weak. Rosalee and Monroe are happy because Rosalee just told Monroe that she was pregnant.

If you are familiar with Grimm and the characters in it, feel free to skip this next part and dive right in. If not, enjoy this little summary! It will help the summary above make a lot more sense.

Note: If you're having trouble understanding/remembering something, feel free to go to the Grimm Wiki. This site has all the information you could need and more! I will also include a creature/Wesen guide for your reference.

In the world of Grimm, there are three kinds of people: Grimms, normal humans, and Wesen (pronounced vess-in or vay-zen depending on who you're talking to).

Wesen are creatures that live within seemingly normal humans. By that, I mean that a Wesen will look like a normal person until they woge (pronounced voh-guh), or transform, into what they really are. For example, there are Wesen that look like snake-people, others that look like werewolves, and so on. Wesen woge when they are emotional or trying to woge. Their face ripples until it takes shape of whatever kind of Wesen they are. There are many different kinds of Wesen.

Humans do not transform and cannot see Wesen unless the Wesen want to be seen. The large majority of humans in the world do not know about the existence of Grimms or Wesen.

Grimms do not transform, but they do have special abilities. Grimms have better endurance, strength, fighting skills, and hearing abilities than normal people and Wesen. Through the centuries, Grimms killed Wesen because Wesen were seen as monsters. Many Grimms still kill Wesen without any other reason other than what they are. The Grimms' most important ability is being able to see Wesen when they do not want to be seen. 

How it works: There are two kinds of woge. When Wesen woge intentionally, they can be seen by everyone - Grimms, humans, and other Wesen. However, if a Wesen woges unintentionally because of anger, fear, sadness, etc. Grimms can see the Wesen.

Wesen can only identify Grimms when they are woged. When they are in their creature state, they see Grimms as normal people, but with deep, black eyes.

Basic Plot and Characters:

Black Claw: A Wesen-run organization that seeks to kill or enslave humans so Wesen can rule the world and not have to hide their true selves from those around them. Bonaparte is one of the leaders of this organization.

Hadrian's Wall or HW: A government organization with Wesen, human, and Grimm members. Their goal is to stop Black Claw's terrorism. 

Nick Burkhardt: A Grimm that is in love with a woman named Adalind. He had a son named Kelly with Adalind. He is a detective with the Portland P.D. but has to go on the run because he was charged with murder by Renard and Bonaparte. He has many friends, including Theresa "Trubel" (pronounced trouble) Rubel. He is about 35 years old.

Theresa "Trubel" Rubel: A Grimm that is friends with Nick. She is about 23 years old. Since she was 13, she thought she was crazy because she was able to see Wesen. She was getting arrested, institutionalized, and attacked on the streets daily (she was homeless ever since 13 when her foster parents were murdered by a type of Wesen called a Siegbarste). She was headed down a bad path, and most likely would have died, if Nick hadn't found her and explained what she was to her. Trubel, at one point, confessed, "I can't thank you enough. You saved my life." As a result, Nick and Trubel have an extremely close bond. They are like family and have saved each other's lives on multiple occasions since. They would do anything for each other. Trubel works for Hadrian's Wall (or HW).

Hank Griffin: Nick's human friend and partner at the Portland P.D.

Sean Renard: Nick's enemy and police captain. He is half Zauberbiest (a kind of Wesen) and can woge, but Renard has no other special abilities like a typical Zauberbiest would. He works for Bonaparte. He used to be Nick's friend, and at one point, Trubel saved his life.

Eve/Juliette: It's complicated to explain, but Eve used to be a normal human named Juliette (and Juliette used to be Nick's girlfriend). To be simple, Juliette had a spell put on her, which made her evil and a Hexenbiest (a type of Wesen). To curb her evil nature, Juliette took on the emotionless, robotic personality of Eve, and now she's a good guy again. She's friends with Nick and works for Hadrian's Wall. There's not a lot of her in the story.

Adalind Schade: A Hexenbiest girlfriend of Nick's who is forced to live with Renard. Bonaparte want's Renard to have a family so that he is more likable and influential as a leader in Portland. Adalind used to be bad and has a child with Renard. The child's name is Diana and she is super powerful (in one episode of Grimm, Diana used her dolls like voodoo dolls and killed someone).

Monroe: A Wesen best friend of Nick's. (It's a big deal because Grimms are known for killing, not befriending, Wesen). Monroe is a wolf-like Wesen called a Blutbad (Bloot-bod) and repairs clocks for a living. He is married to Rosalee.

Rosalee: A Fuchsbau (Fooks-bow), a fox-like, Wesen, friend of Nick's. She is an apothecary and works at an herbal store called the Spice Shop. She is married to Monroe and is pregnant. Her sister's name is DeEtta.

Drew Wu: A human sergeant of the Portland P.D. He is a friend of Nick's.

 Conrad Bonaparte: A very powerful Zauberbiest (Zow-bur-beast), a witch-like Wesen that has telepathic powers, the ability to make spells, etc. They have stronger abilities than females, which are called Hexenbiests. Bonaparte is one of the leaders of Black Claw, and he is absolutely evil. He worked with Renard to kill Meisner.

Meisner: Worked for HW. Was friends with Trubel and used to be friends with Renard before Renard was evil. He was involved in hiring and training Trubel for HW.

Ian Harmon and Alexander: These characters were in previous episodes. I just thought I'd bring back a few familiar faces. There's not a lot you need to know about them.

Bud Wurstner: An Eisbiber (Eyes-bee-bur), a beaver Wesen, that is friends with Nick. He is super friendly, but also nervous and paranoid.