Chapter Twenty-Two

"Theresa, this is serious!" Blake yelled, concerned. He quickly shut the door behind him, so they could take privately.

"What's going on?" Trubel asked, terrified. She could tell that something was very, very wrong by looking at Blake's panicked expression.

"Bonaparte wanted me to come and find you. He wants to test you to make sure you're loyal to him now," Blake explained.

"I've done everything that he's wanted!" Trubel yelled, baffled.

"I know. I'm sorry. This is going to be bad," Blake said.

"What do you mean?"

"He's going to ask you to kill Nick," Blake said.

"What!?" Trubel asked. "No, way. Blake, you know that I would never do that!"

"You wouldn't, but Bonaparte's Theresa would," Blake said.

"I'm not killing Nick to convince Bonaparte of my act!" Trubel yelled.

"You don't have to. I watched Bonaparte. He's going to hand you a gun, and it isn't going to be loaded. You, of course, aren't supposed to know that. You need to put the gun to Nick's head and pull the trigger."

"I can't!" Trubel said.

"You have to. Nothing is going to happen. The gun isn't loaded."

"What if Bonaparte decides to load it? Or, what if you're lying to me," she said, beginning to glare at him.

"I'm not lying. I warning you. You need to trust me and shoot Nick. It's the only way to get Nick and Vincent to leave you alone. It's the only way to keep them safe. It's the only way for you and me to keep working on our plan."

"I'm going to throw up," Trubel said, looking pale.

"You have to look like you want to kill Nick. You're supposed to think he's a coward and he disgusts you. Trubel, you have to act mad when the shot doesn't kill him."

Trubel shook her head. She really did look like she was going to be sick.

"Mentally prepare yourself. At least you won't actually have to kill Nick. I already told Vincent to meet us in the interrogation room, and the pack is already getting Nick. Remember to be surprised that Bonaparte is going to ask you to kill Nick."

"Nick?" Trubel asked.

Nick opened his eyes and looked at her. She actually looked kind of scared to him. In reality, she was absolutely terrified.

"Do you want to do this?" Nick asked her.

"I... I don't know," she said. I can't do this! I really, really don't want to do this!

"Of course you do, Theresa," Bonaparte said. "Do it."

She stared at Nick.

"Trubel?" Nick asked.

Yeah, Nick. It's me. I'm here. I would never hurt you. I love you. I can't do this. I can't do this.

"Don't call me that!" she yelled and raised the gun, aiming it at his forehead. Oh my, God. I can't do this. I can't do it.

Trubel thought about putting the gun against her own head and pulling the trigger. If it didn't go off, she would be alive, but it would be a death sentence to her and her friends.

"I don't blame you for anything. I'm sorry I couldn't help you. Do what you have to do," Nick said quietly.

Nick, please stop talking. You don't ever need to be sorry. You have always helped me. I could never kill you, especially not to save my own life. I can't do this. I can't do this. I can't do this. I can't do this!