Icarus - Part 4

Clarke sighed heavily to herself as she sat by the window, gazing upon the little spot of green on earth. How were they going to stop this new threat?  She thought to herself, picking up a cup of water and raising her feet up onto the windowsill. 
Her mind was racing, and letting Maddie anywhere near those savages made her stomach turn. Maddie was smart, she was pretty, and she spoke her mind. All three of those things put her into great danger. 
Clarke could feel the anxiety settle in. She wrapped her arms around her knees and pulled them close to her chest, burying her head between them in an attempt to calm herself for a moment.

"What's it like?" Clarke jumped at the sudden voice breaking behind her.
Echo stood in the doorway, studying Clarke's position.
Clarke noticed how much more relaxed she had become since she had last seen her, her stance now more inquisitive than defensive.

"It's changed...... a lot" Clarke replied, relaxing a little. "There's very little green left"
Echo walked over to Clarke, pulling up a chair, turning it and sitting on it with its back facing forwards, her arms rested on top.

"Are there any people left? Normal ones........
I mean..." Echo stopped herself, not wanting to sound disrespectful.
Clarke studied Echos face, she looked troubled.

"I didn't find any, only nightbloods......." Clarke replied honestly "However, there is only so much terrain one person can cover" she said, attempting reassurance.
Echo nodded, before standing and heading for the exit.

"You know.......... I didn't think we would ever get back. That.......this was it. Stuck up here forever.  They never stopped believing in you, as soon as they heard your voice, Bellamy was............it was like........"
Echos voice broke, she turned to Clarke once again.
"You are strong Clarke, you sacrifice yourself to save others. Most people only ever think of themselves........."
Echo stopped herself, reflecting inwards momentarily.
"It's thanks to you that we are heading back today, and I hope I can be useful when we get back" Echo kicked her feet at the ground, her stance respectful, as if she was unsure of her role in the new world that lay ahead of her.
Clarke studied her quietly, unsure of how to put a response together.

"You are already useful Echo, you are strong, you are a fighter - we need those now more than ever. There is a new threat on Earth that we can only overcome if we work together" Clarke smiled slightly "I know we will defeat them with you by our side"
Echo looked out of the window, contemplating for a moment.
"They won't stand a chance, I'll make sure of that" She replied firmly, before smiling at Clarke and heading off into the hall.

Clarke watched Echo as she left. She was confident, smart, strong, pretty.... so pretty. She knew why Bellamy had chosen her.
Clarke felt sad for a moment, staring into the dark hallway where Echo had momentarily passed through. 
This is a new beginning Clarke, be strong.......together you will overcome this.
She pulled her legs back into her chest, before letting her eyes slowly close, her mind drifting back to earth and what lay ahead.

"Clarke, wake up!"
Bellamy rushed into the med bay, Clarke jolted awake, gazing over, still slightly asleep and unable to get any words out for some reason.
Clarke hadn't seen him for the last 2 days, presumably as he had been helping Raven and Monty prepare for reentry.
"We need everyone on the Bridge" Bellamy continued, looking over at Clarke's huddled form.
Clarke nodded, unclamping her knees from her chest, standing slowly, holding onto a nearby desk for support.

"Are you ok?" Bellamy asked, his face concerned, moving towards her as she stood.
"I'm fine.........is everyone else on the bridge?" Clarke asked, brushing down her trousers with her hands gently.
"Yep, just you left, and we can't leave without you..... not this time" Bellamy smiled slightly, apprehension in his voice.
Clarke looked up at Bellamy, his face completely unreadable as usual. 
"Aha, well as nice as the med bay is, I'd rather not spend eternity alone" Clarke replied jokily, looking back down at her feet.