Prologue

It was blinding bright in the day as the sound of sickles cutting the grasses and weeds filled the damp air. The temperature had risen about five degrees since yesterday that it seemed not possible to get any hotter than now.

One particular boy was spending his time restlessly searching for herbs and edible crops. He was busy looking when he heard his name called.

"Chris!! Your mother has been calling your names for two hours now!"

He almost dropped his whole body among the tall plants covering more than half his body. Almost instantly he gathered every little thing he had gotten that day, not forgetting the old tools, and sprinted away. Nearing an old house which looked like it could collapse any time sooner, a seething shouts were heard. Some people who were passing at the front door never paid a single attention. This had been a normal occurrence for them.

"Where is that ungrateful brat?! Leaving his own mother to starve all day while he took all my money, that rat!!"

"Mom-" the boy hadn't even finished talking yet when something was thrown toward him. Luckily it missed his head and ended up hitting the wall behind him.

"You useless piece of shit! Where did you take all my money huh?! Have you lost your shame to let the woman who give you life starving?! Really, you only think about your own mouth, that greedy thing on your face!"

"Mom, let me make some food no-"

"You'd better!! Go away! Bring me food or I'll throw you out you ungrateful shit! You dare to cut me while talking now huh?! Now that I'm sick and on bed all time you can talk back huh?!"

Unable to wait any longer he got out and rushed to the kitchen. He leaned on the sink and lowered his head with closed eyes. No tears will come out, he told himself.

He washed all the crops and cooked some rice. The stock was running out but his mother wouldn't eat without it. It never took long to prepare her meal because they never had much to begin with. Pouring some water into the plastic glass the boy wondered how long it would take for him to work and get money so he could replace the bed lamp his mom had thrown earlier.

The woman took the meal without forgetting to add some insults, saying how she regretted having given birth to a failure like him. Swallowing every words he left her alone after cleaning up the mess she had made. As he walked to the well to get water for bath, he caught a sight of boys around his age, playing and laughing like there's no tomorrow. His eyes found it hard to look away as he wondered deep inside, since when had he lost all those good times.

Maybe.. when dad was no longer around?

Some time passed as he watched longingly at the sight. His vision blurred and he blinked to get rid of the anguish welling up his throat.

No tears would come out, indeed.