Chapter One

"So your daughter is going to be seventeen tomorrow?"

"Well yes, but she has become like crazy now. Telling me to buy more clothes and lipstick and such. I don't even use the expensive brands and she spent all my money on them."

"At least it must feel nice because you will soon have a rich in law. The worst can happen you can get money from the auction."

"Hey are you telling me they're gonna reject my beautiful daughter?! No. Way. Haven't you seen how beautiful she is?"

The chattering of a couple of women not too far from me is starting to make me sick. It brings some useless thoughts to me.

My name is Christopher and I'm turning seventeen next week. I don't know what to feel about it. Some part of me feel anxious and worried.. it's a common custom for those who have matured enough to be brought into the city as the chance of us becoming someone's mate is high.

One very important question has been bugging me for weeks. Who will take care of mother while I'm gone? She has no friend because of her rude way of talking. I can't ask anyone because of my extremely shy and quiet personality.

Although the probability I meet my mate is definitely low and even if I do meet her- or him since I swing that way- she or he will not think twice to dump me at the nearest garbage bin. Yes, I am not beautiful. My body is too thin for any of their likings. Supernatural beings have always taken a liking in muscles and strong looking human. Even the females in an old magazine I found coincidentally emit such masculinity and dominance. I won't survive any millisecond when I reach the place.

Then my skin. Too pale. From what I heard, many fair skinned villagers having failed to appeal their mates and were brought back. However they didn't leave empty handed as there are royalties being given to every candidate who participate in the event so I can't miss this once in a lifetime chance. We're running out of rice stock right now and it will be nice if I can buy a new bed lamp for mother. It will appease her hatred toward me for sure.

There are so much faulty in me that makes it hard to believe someone would actually turn their head and look at me in a romantic way. My eyes, nose, lips. Even my hair adds feminity which is a turn-off for them.

So I shouldn't be worried but I am. At the same time I feel relieved. This makes me feel guilty and worthless. Maybe what mother has always been saying is true. I shake my head to clear those thoughts away and continue ploughing through the field. I look at some old women who who have managed to gather many crops and a wanting pout instantly on my lips. How lucky. I want to find that many too.

One of them probably feel my gaze and turn to my way. I immediately go back on my work, feeling warmth spreads on my face and neck. She will realize that I was staring from my tomato red ears. Sorry I was staring. I say in my mind but there's no way she can know. It would be better if I just smiled at her but she can find me a freak. Or not.

Hours later I come home to find my mom still sleeping. With much effort I close the door as no sound can be heard and head to the kitchen. I was still preparing a light soup for mom when I heard some rustling near the window. Sudden tension fills my veins. I lock my gaze at that square thing on the wall. There is a hole from someone throwing a rock at the house causing the glass shattered. My dad has no money to buy a new one so we covered it with a tape but it worn out and gone.

The rustling sound keeps coming and cold sweat breaks through my skin. Is it a bear? A boar? Some kids playing around?

I bite my lips tightly, a habit which comes out when I am nervous. Deciding that since I am the only male in the house I should protect my mother so with a wooden stick in my hands I slowly walk out the back door. As I near the place my ears catch a whimpering sound making my eyebrows meet.

What I find is almost shocking. A cub, bloody and badly hurt is laying among the bushes. I reach my hands out and it instantly growls weakly. The baby seem to have trouble breathing so I take off my shirt and with a great care wrap the cub and lift it into my embrace before going back to the house.

It was whimpering louder and it will be hell if mom finds out so I sooth it out while walking into the bathroom. I have a skill with tending wounds because I receive them too often since little. In no time the cub has been cleaned and gets bandaged. I give it water since there's no milk and I have no meat. Maybe I can ask some from the butcher but that also means I am gonna have to meet his son. He always touches me in a strange way so I've stopped coming after meeting him twice.

I stare at its eyes, they're blinking rapidly. Sighing I pat its head lightly and back to the kitchen. I'm going to the butcher and ask for leftover then I'll hurry home.

"CHRIS!" I hear my mom scream and the cub instantly growls, this time more viciously. Running to the cub I calm it down before mom can hear it. It instantly goes quiet in my arms but is still staring at my mom's door with its fur standing. This is gonna be harder than I thought.