14. Rooftop Lights

"Did you hear yet?" Michael asks eagerly glancing up at me from under his dark lashes as he shovels down the last bite of his cereal.

"Hear what?" I ask curiously and watch him exchange a surprised glance with Ash, and Calum.

"You tell her man." Michael snickers to Ash and I grow slightly nervous at their hesitation to tell me.

"It's not even that big of a deal..." Ash trails off looking at Calum with pleading eyes.

"Well, I'm sure she's not going to like it, and she'll probably hate Leigh Anne even more." Michael states shrugging his shoulders.

"Will someone just tell me what the hell is going on?"

"Alright, fine..." Ashton raises his hazel eyes to meet my expectant gaze. "There's another social thing tonight. It's bingo night."

"Really? That's it?" I furrow my brows at him in annoyance and the three boys start cackling.

"You should've seen your face, you looked like you were waiting for us to tell you your best friend died or something. We were just trying to mess with you Cora." Calum chuckles before sipping on his apple juice.

"Well it worked." I laugh letting my muscles relax again.

We sit there for a few minutes talking about small things like the weather, or who had been released that week when the double doors swing open to reveal Luke. His eyes are glued to the ground as he crosses the room to sit next to Calum and across from me.

The table goes silent as he scoots his chair up to the table, still not looking anyone in the eyes. An uncomfortable tension fills the air until Michael finally breaks it by clearing his throat.

"Where have you been, Luke?" He asks curiously.

"None of your business." Luke answers in an icy cool voice before pulling his phone from his pocket and looking down intently at the bright screen.

"Are we still on for that soccer match this weekend?" Ashton asks Calum, and I am grateful for the shift in atmosphere.

"Yeah, man! You know that Dynamo is gonna win though, right?"

"I disagree, I think FC has a great chance."

"I guess we'll just have to see. You know Romoro is injured that's a major disadvantage." Calum smirks folding his hands in his lap as if he's proven his point.

They continue to bicker about the sport with the occasional input from Michael. I glance down at my half-eaten blueberry bagel, even though I don't plan on eating any more of it.

I can feel a pair of eyes on me from across the table. I try to ignore them, hoping he will just look away. I'm still embarrassed about the kiss yesterday; we both know it was wrong of us to do. He is my counselor. I am his patient. Nothing more and nothing less.

"Are you going to eat that?" Luke's familiar deep voice speaks softly from across the table. Unwelcomed butterflies stir in my stomach, but I try to push them down as I look up into his eyes. As soon as my eyes meet his, his eyebrows unknit and his expression softens. I can't help the small smile that tugs at the corners of my lips either. I hate that he makes me feel this way since I know we can never have anything, but it's out of my control.

"No. I'm not that hungry. Would you like it?" I offer it to him, pushing the small white plate in his direction.

"Yeah. Thanks." He reaches out and tears off a piece before putting it in his mouth. "Are you ready for bingo tonight?"

"Sounds pretty lame to me."

"You could maybe talk to some other patients, you know at least try to make friends?" He chuckles lightly.