Chapter 3

I was nine and three-quarters when you turned twenty-two.

I had been in town when you were going to have your party and you were quick to invite me, only a child, not wanting me to be bored and alone at the vacation home. Your birthday was a grand event, big and overtop with pink everywhere and a mountain of Sister Tiana's homemade beignets offered on the buffet table. It was so like you, festive and fun and loved. Everyone was in high spirits and drinking even more spirits as the night went on, dancing and singing along with the jazz band your father had gotten just for you.

And once again, despite all the suitors there, you picked me as your partner. I was a little taller now, though I still only came up to your chest. But I had gotten better at dancing; I begged my parents for lessons because I wanted to be able to dance better. For you, in case this ever happened again. I no longer had to dance on your feet and you noticed. I could only blush and hide my thanks when you flattered me.

But when the dance ended, I went back to my table. I heard those people whispered. The older men and women, watching from the tables away from the fun. You still hadn't married, they said. You were still way too dependent, they said. You're living in a fairytale, they said.

But they didn't know the truth. They didn't know I was your prince and they didn't know they would put their foots in their mouths when I was older.