Chapter 10

I was seventeen and three-quarters when you started up a school.

After your father passed away, you inherited all of his land and his money. Even with the depression your nation suffered through, you and your family had been surprisingly well off. So even as New Orleans started to die economically, you were fine. I thought you were just going to live off of it until you finally married. But the next time you wrote me, you suddenly wrote to me you were starting up a school.

A beauty school, to be specific.

Makeup and fashion had always been your strong points. At first, I was worried about the school. Even though Louisiana didn't suffer nearly as bad as the rest of your nation, the depression was not kind. Starting a school in a city where unemployment soured through the roof? It seemed suicidal to your finances.

But you wanted to do it. You wanted your father to be proud of you. You already had enough to money and plenty of things to survive off of. A small school for young women and maybe men to learn about makeup and hair and how to be a beautician seemed like a way to start. People always needed to look good in this life; fashion never went into a depression, as you had put it. Celebrities and elites always need people do fix up their image to impress. And it would keep people off the streets, not having to beg and give them something to hope for.

I can't say how much I can agree with you, but the sentiment was there. You were trying hard, doing your best, providing a safe environment for people to study hard in. The school didn't have many students, despite the low tuition, but the ones that went were hardworking and did their best. And so did you.

Big Brother helped find you a trusted accountant and Sister Tiana helped you find staff, allowing you to have more time on your hands. And instead of going back to the days of shopping and boys, you worked hard to get your school's name out there. Get publicity, get donation, always doing what you could for the school, the staff, and the students.

I have honestly never met another woman like you. Your ambition and your selflessness made me fall in love with you even more than I thought possible. People had called you shallow, ridiculous, self-centered and they were all fools. They never knew you and how hard you worked and how much you care. They probably would never either.