Chapter 4

I was eleven when Big Brother officially abdicated the throne.

It had only been a matter of time. Ever since he married Sister Tiana, he had only come home a few times, sometimes with his wife and other times without her. She would not give up her restaurant and when she became pregnant, Big Brother knew he had to make a decision. Father and Mother weren't angry though, despite our advisors pleading with him to reconsider.

I couldn't be angry either. His heart had chosen Sister Tiana, a woman who had a dream that didn't involve the royal life. And despite Big Brother's upbringing, he was probably best suited to not be king. He had changed since meeting Sister Tiana, but he had never taken his role as prince seriously before. He had been busy chasing skirts and attending grand parties. Being a father and helping out at the restaurant would be enough for him.

So his responsibilities became mine. Fortunately, Father had been anticipating this when they had initially disowned Big Brother, so I had already been taking the appropriate lessons to become king. It was hard work; the teachers were strict, probably more than necessary out of fear I would become like Big Brother and also abdicate.

But I had found myself enjoying the politics of it all, so I wasn't bored. I was getting closer to my own dream of helping the people. Our country was small and though the economy was stable, there was still poverty. I wanted to do whatever I could to help those people, to give them a better future. And these lessons were helping me understand just what I had to do. Wishing on stars might have had a hand in it too.

Still, I had missed you. The lessons had increased, as did the need for my presents at more public events in my country. I would not be able to visit you for nearly three years, but I never once stopped thinking of you. So every night, I wished on stars, hoping to see you again soon.