O N E

HARRY

HARRY

   "I thought you asked me to come to the forest to murder me for telling everyone you got a boner when you heard that NASA discovered a new planet.

   "But no it's worse. You're looking for fucking aliens again."

  I looked at Hashim with a glare, flipping him off as we continued to walk further into the forest that surrounded the outskirts of Maysville. Hashim went off muttering and complaining in Arabic, while I bit my lower lip to conceal myself from chuckling. My eyes rose up to gaze at the starry night sky, studying the bright dots of energy sprinkled over the midnight velvet blanket. There was something about tonight that felt good, like something was going to happen in my favor.

   "Man I'm still hungry after Iftar, how is that even possible? I had so much fattah I feel like I'm pregnant," Hashim continued to complain as I switched on his flashlight because it was too dark to see now. "Wait I think that's haram."

   "When we find the aliens, please speak English," I told him just as I stopped a hill. "This way."

   "Look habibi, this alien-hunting thing was cute when we were kids, now I'm not so sure," Hashim said to me as we climbed up the short hill to get a better view of the stars.

  I set my backpack down, and began rummaging through the contents of it, pulling out objects that were going to help me contact the aliens. I have been trying to use my contact tones, which were just a bunch of alien-like sounds, to get past the satellites that surrounded our beloved planet, which I assumed was blocking my signals. Each night I tried increasing the frequency a bit by bit as well as the volume of the tones so that the signals would be strong enough to push past the satellites radar.

   "Okay, help me-"

   "No."

   "Shut up. Just help me set thi-"

   "No."

   "Hashim!" I exclaimed in slight annoyance, gazing at him with a glare while he stared me back in the eye with daggers.

  A huff left my lips as I reached down for my backpack and pulled out a container of hummus and some pita bread wrapped in plastic. Thrusting the food into his arms, I looked at him expectantly, watching him assess the food in his arms, contemplating on whether or not to help me now.

   "I accept your bribe," Hashim began ripping the plastic apart, sitting down on the floor and began eating. "Give me a few."

  I huffed again impatiently, making him glare at me with pita bread hanging out of his mouth. Holding my hands up in defense, I sat down next to him and decided to wait for a few minutes until he was done eating. I pulled my backpack onto my lap, pulling out a red Beats Pill, which was actually Mei's portable speaker. Setting it down on the grass, I then pulled out my laptop, along with other things that I was going to use to contact the aliens.