Chapter Nine (Tell me your secrets)

Nola   

I sat up in bed all cried out, staring at what was left of my pillow. I did not like this side of myself. I needed to get out of here I needed some fresh air. I climbed out of bed and went into the bathroom to wash my face. My reflection in the mirror was ghastly, my eyes were puffy but somehow sunken and red rimmed, my hair was a mess.

"Look at you." I said to my reflection. "you look terrible girl. You are made of stronger materials, you will get through this." I gave myself a pep talk.

I brushed my hair and caught it in a knot a top my head. I went into my closet and dug through my growing pile of dirty clothes and changed into cutoff jeans and a tank top. Mama hated these jeans, but today I did not care. I slipped my feet into my leather flip-flops, putting on my sunglasses to hide my eyes. I looked myself over in my closet mirror, feeling a lot more confident. I grabbed my cell phone and head out my room door. The moment I did I collided with Avery.

"What the hell." I snapped.

"Sorry."

"How long were you out here?"

"Just a while ago, I was trying to get the courage to knock on your door."

"What do you want?" I sounded harsh even to my own ear. I did not want to be that kind of person.

"I don't know."

I sighed impatiently, then turned on my heels. He followed me.

"Where are you going?"

"Out."

"Can I come?"

"No."

"Please, I am dying of boredom."

"Fine, but don't talk too much."

We sneaked through the kitchen, I caught sight of Neima and Auntie talking in the living room. I went straight to the garage. I open dad's old red truck and fished the keys from the dashboard compartment. Avery climbed into the passenger's side. I clicked the button on the review mirror and the garage door opened. I turned on the ignition and backed out.

"Aren't you going to tell anyone where we are going?"

"Do you want to stay?" I glanced at him.

"No." He put his seatbelt on.

"Then chill out." I turned the truck around then shot down the drive way. Mama's car was driving up when I speed past her.

"Grandma Ellen, is waving at you." Avery said.

I took up my phone and dialed Jackson. He answered on the second ring.

"Hey, wasup?"

"Meet me at the park in fifteen." I said into the phone. Sunday evening traffic tend to be light in the country.

"Do you want to hang?"

"Yeah."

"Ok."

"See you there." I hung up. The moment I did Mama was calling my phone. I clicked ignore and turned my phone off.

Avery was quiet for most of the drive. I was thankful for that because it gave me time to think. I liked the feel of the wheel in my hands and the throttle of the engine. It made me feel closer to daddy. I remembered he taught me to drive as soon as my feet could touch the pedals.

"Keep it steady Nola, turn the wheel in the direction you want to go." His deep smooth silky voice instructed me.

I kept my hand on the wheel staring ahead. "It's not that hard." I laughed.