Chapter Sixteen (When we were sisters)

Neima 

I had never been so emotionally drained in my life. I felt relieved that Nola knew the truth even though things went south for a while, it did turn around. She was very accepting of the truth. James massaged my shoulders and back as I laid prostrate on the bed. It felt really good in easing the tension, he had magical fingers.

"How was it?" He asked.

"Intense. When we found her last night, I think she was going to kill herself, but she was too tired and weak to do it. She practically passed out in my arms. James, we came very close to losing her."

"How is she now?"

"She seems calmer than last night, a little more level headed. She baffles me. I am not sure if I should trust this calmness. I really don't want her to hurt herself again."

"Are you having doubts that she can work through everything that has happened to her?"

"I know she is strong, but I also know that when someone has suicidal tendencies it only takes a single traumatic event to push them over the edge again. The trauma can be miniscule but still have lasting effects. We really need to observe her for the next few days." I rolled over to my side.

"Well it's a good thing I changed our flights." James smiled.

"You did?" I sat up excitedly and kissed his face. "You are the best husband ever."

"I know." He said cheekily, with a wide grin. "But you also know there is a reason why doctors do not treat relatives Neima." He said more seriously.

"I am not treating her, she is my sister and I want to see her be healthy."

"She was your sister, now that she knows the truth she is now your daughter." James corrected.

"But we didn't even get any time to enjoy being sisters." I said longingly.

There was a feeble knock at the door. We exchanged questioning glances. James got up to open the door. Nola stood on the other side looking freshly showered and dressed.

I became more alert. "Come in." I waved her in encouragingly.

She came in to sit on the edge of my bed, she had a book tucked away in her folded arms. "Can we have some sister time?" she looked between me and James.

James shrugged. "Sure, you ladies can have as much time has you want. I will just get out of your way." He kissed me on the cheek and was about to leave the room, when Nola stopped him.

"Actually, I was thinking of us taking a walk, we have been cooped up in this house for too long, it's just about ready to drive me crazy." She stood up.

"Sure." I got out of bed dragging on my leather flip-flops.

I followed her out the door, down the stairs and through the kitchen where Auntie Mora and Naomi were busy coloring in coloring books at the dining table. We went through the front door into the yard. We walked across the yard through coconut trees, not saying a word. Where was she taking me?

"Are we going to talk?" I asked, breaking the silence.

"We have done a lot of talking, why can't we enjoy a moment of silence and tranquility?"

"Ok." I said.

The sun had already risen high in the clear blue sky, the day was becoming humid. The coconut trees danced in the ocean breeze. The dogs were out barking and chasing a mongoose through some bushes. Goats, sheeps and cows grazed together in fields of grass. Chickens and ducks roamed freely in the yard scratching and picking at insects, a hen cackled in the distance. Birds flew overhead chirping their sacred tunes. There were a few farm hands out and about working, gathering from the harvest, and taking care of the animals. It was a reminder that the world still goes on despite our problems. I had forgotten how much fun living on a farm could be.