Chapter 6: Ex Boyfriend Starts with Awkward

"And we danced all night to the best song ever..."

***************

Chapter 6

The following weekend, Avery convinced me to go to another party. I agreed on the condition that I could bring Harry, and she happily obliged. I guess, really, that wasn’t a condition. Who wouldn’t want Harry Styles at their party?

We’d gone shopping earlier that afternoon for something to wear, and after three hours, we were both satisfied. She’d bought a black, formfitting dress, and I’d bought a blue one in the same style. I’d also gotten a cute new pair of heels and some jewelry, and then I was happy.

I straightened my hair so that it was down by my butt and did my makeup dramatically. I slipped into the tight dress and the heels, and then admired myself in the mirror. I looked good. Damn good.

Avery whistled when she saw me, and I blushed.

“Damn, you’re gonna drive Harry crazy,” she teased. I swatted at her. Just then, the doorbell rang. I hurried to open it, and Harry’s eyes immediately traveled up and down my body. He smirked, and I flushed again.

“Hey baby,” he smirked. “Damn.”

“Hey yourself,” I grinned. “Avery, come on!”

We all walked out to the car, and Avery slid into the backseat. Harry backed out of the driveway and listened intently as Avery told him where to go. We drove there quickly, while Harry gently rubbed his hand on my lower thigh. My stomach was doing flips.

When we arrived at the party, Avery quickly abandoned us. Harry and I walked in together, hand in hand, and people gave us weird looks. A few girls came over and asked for pictures, and he happily obliged. Then, we went to the dance floor to dance.

The song was Talk Dirty, and it was just getting to the chorus. I turned around and started to grind my butt against his pelvis. His hands went immediately to my hips, and he gently held me as I danced on him. I had my hands up around his neck, and he ever so gently kissed my neck.

I should have been appalled at my behavior. Before I met Harry, I never would have done this, even if I was dating the guy. But Harry brought out the bolder side of me. But really, what was wrong with that? He’d brought me out of my shell.

After a few more songs, we were both sweaty and thirsty. Harry led me off the dance floor and gave me a quick kiss before saying he’d be back with drinks. I nodded and pulled out my compact, reapplying my lip gloss and checking my eye makeup. Still good.

Out of the corner of my compact, I caught a familiar pair of eyes watching me. My heart froze in my chest for a second before the panic set in, and I tried to think of a place I could run. Unfortunately, the eyes recognized me and made their way over.

As he approached, I took in his features. He had gotten taller, if that was even possible, and more muscular. His sandy hair and light blue eyes were unchanged, and they still chilled my heart. I looked at him for a second, waiting to see if he’d talk first.

“Lexi? Is that really you?” he laughed. I smiled nervously, looking down at the floor.

“Yeah, hi Damian,” I said softly.

“Wow, you look great!”

“Thanks,” I said stiffly. Damian looked down at his feet, too, and I bit my lip. Why was he here? He moved away? What the hell was he doing here?

“How have you been?” he asked. I shrugged.

“Good.”

“How’s Avery?”

“Fine.”

“How’re you doing in school?”

“Great.”

“Um, that’s good…”

His voice trailed off, almost as if he felt awkward, but I didn’t particularly care. He deserved to feel awkward. Two years ago, he broke my heart. Even though I was over it, over him, it still wasn’t right. I’d been comforted thinking that I’d never have to see him again. But I was wrong.

“What’re you doing here?” I asked finally. As much as I wanted him to go away, I was dying to know. He seemed to be relieved that I was giving more than one word answers.

“Um, I’m actually attending UCLA.”

Damian was one year older than me, so naturally as a freshman in college he’d choose UCLA. I groaned internally. Just my luck.

“Oh, that’s nice,” I said quietly. Thankfully, I saw Harry approaching with two beers. He looked confused, and I widened my eyes at him, telling him to hurry up. Damian noticed.

“Hey baby, who’s this?” Harry asked, handing me a beer and sliding an arm protectively around my waist. I leaned into him, and Damian’s eyes narrowed.

“This is Damian, my uh, ex-boyfriend,” I said quietly. Damian extended a hand, and Harry took it, squeezing tightly.

“Hello,” Harry said quietly.

“Damian this is Harry.”

“Her boyfriend,” Harry smirked. Damian’s face paled, and he looked from me to him.

“Well, we’ll see how long that lasts.”

“What the hell is that supposed to mean?” I snapped. Harry’s grip on me tightened.

“Well, she’s more uptight than a nun, so have fun with that.” He paused and smirked. “Or not.”

With that, Damian turned around and stomped away. I huffed a breath and ground my teeth at him. I was absolutely fuming. Harry tried to look calm, but I could tell that internally he was struggling with his anger.

“What the hell?” I said through clenched teeth. “Who the hell does he think he is?”

“Calm down, Lex,” Harry said quietly. I shook my head angrily.

“No! It’s freaking irritating! Did you see the look on his freaking face?”

“Yes, I did!” Harry insisted. I shook my head. “And I’m no happier than you. But I’m going to control the urge to bash his face in and focus on having a good time with you tonight.”

I softened and looked up into his sincere green eyes. He was clearly irritated, and that was sweet. But he was also concerned for my well-being and seemed intent on ensuring that I had a good time tonight. I found myself incredibly grateful for him.

“You’re right, let’s dance.”

I quickly downed my beer and then pulled Harry back to the dance floor. We resumed our old position, dancing like hormone driven teenagers. It was only with a tiny bit of satisfaction that I registered the looks that Damian kept giving us. Instead, I focused entirely on Harry. This, right here, right now, was what was important. Harry. He was all I needed. All I wanted.

And right now? That felt just right.

***************

WHAT DID YOU GUYS THINK?!?!?!!?

One vote for the next chapter. (: