Prolouge

"Please, just listen to me!"

Ethan's mother turned on him. "And are you listening to us? I will not let my daughter to ruin her life because of some word she found on her Rolling website!"

Ethan clenched his fists. "First of all, it's called Tumblr. And second, I'm not ruining my life! You're the ones who made me want to end it!"

Ethan's dad stepped forward. He set a gentle hand on his child's shoulder. "Now, I'm sure we can all calm down and talk about this reasonably."

Ethan's mother turned to her husband. "Are you siding with her? I thought we agreed we were a Christian household and family. How could you support something like this?"

Ethan's dad held up hid hands in surrender. "You're right, we did agree to that." He turned to his child. "I'm sorry sweetheart, but can you please be reasonable. Your mother-"

"It's always about her!" Ethan yelled. "I was the one who had to apologize after she forgot my birthday! I was the one who had to give up my friends because she wanted to homeschool us! I was the one who spent two years in the closet because she can't get her head out of her ass and accept that not everyone is straight!"

Ethan's mother clenched her chest. "How- how dare you say that about your own mother? I spent nine months carrying you around to have a respectful daughter, not-not this!"

"Not what?" Ethan growled.

"Not a trans-whatever it is you think you are. You are my daughter, and I will not accept this!"

"I don't care if you accept this," Ethan said calmly. "Your opinion isn't going to stop me."

•••••

Happy pride month to everyone! This story's written in dedication to a good friend of mine, Ian, and his experiences living with transphobic parents in the Bible Belt after coming out as a male. This story is also dedicated to any LGBTQ+ folks who have dealt with the pain and frustration of people who won't accept us the way we are. Cheers to all, and remember to leave a vote and comment if you found it interesting.