Chapter Twenty Two

Alice set a hand on Ethan's shoulder. "Stay here, watch Mikey and Kyle, I'll deal with this," she instructed before stalking towards Josh and Tyler. Tyler had been surprised by the fist in his face, but after seeing who it belonged to, his usual cocky grin that Ethan hated so much was back. Until he saw Alice.

"Are you serious?" Tyler yelled. "I already get benched because of you, what else do you want?"

"Josh, let's go," Alice hissed, grabbing his shoulder and trying to pull him away from the fight.

Josh tried to shrug her off, but he seemed to finally notice the size difference between him and Tyler, and let Alice pull him away until Tyler opened his mouth again.

"Yeah, follow the cripple, just like the dogs you all really are."

Alice froze, her eyes wide with pain and anger. She gripped her crutch tighter under her arm and looked back over her shoulder.

"What did you call me?"

Tyler smirked and crossed his arms. "What, did they cut your brain out too when you lost your leg. You're a crippled, little bitch."

Mikey was shaking next to Kyle, and soon, he was approaching Tyler. "Shut up," he growled. "Do whatever you want to me, I don't care, but never call her any of those things again."

Tyler uncrossed his arms and jabbed a finger into Mikey's chest. "Look at that, you think that just because your disgusting boyfriend and your pathetic friends are here, you can talk to me." He grabbed Mikey by the upper arm and pulled him close. "When will you learn that you do not matter. Like, at all. You're better off dead, trash."

He threw Mikey against Josh, laughing as they both fell to the ground, the cake spinning away. Ethan made his way over, followed by Kyle. He noticed Tyler flinch as he drew closer, which filled him with confidence.

"More of you?" Tyler asked, trying to hide his nerves. Ethan would have bet what little money he had that he almost reached for his black eye. "Seriously we need to get rid of people like you. You're nothing more than a disease."

Alice was the first to move. Her crutch struck Tyler's face, leaving a red welt across his cheek. She moved closer, her weapon sling over her shoulder like a baseball bat. Or softball, Ethan thought, as it was most likely Maddie who had taught her. Oh how he wished she was here. At least then their group would outweigh Tyler.

Alice struck again, catching the bottom of his jaw. Tyler clutched his mouth, which was bleeding from the blunt object. But he was ready the third time.
As Alice's crutch came at him again, he grabbed it in both hands and pushed it against Alice, knocking her to the ground. She tried to crawl back, but Tyler set a foot on her prosthetic leg. "Where do you think you're going?"

Alice struggled to free herself. "Tyler, seriously, get off," she panted, still trying to pull herself free.
Tyler laughed and bent down, grabbing the limb by the end and yanking up. The movement threw Alice's back hard against the concrete. She lay dazed, her eyes watering. "Tyler, dammit, stop. You're going to break it."

Tyler smiled and leaned over her face, still gripping the limb. "Really, it's a shame you're one of them. You're really pretty like this."

Alice pushed against the ground, throwing herself forward. Ethan thought she was reaching for Tyler, but her hands instead gripped the base of her prosthetic, and in two movements, her leg was free. She pushed away from Tyler and back against Ethan, who bent down to wrap his arms around her protectively.

"Tyler, give that back!" a new voice yelled.
Liam stepped into the fight, putting himself between Tyler and Alice. He held out his hands towards Tyler, and although Ethan couldn't see his face, he was sure Tyler was pissed.