Chapter Twenty Three

Alice didn't stop crying as Josh drove Mikey home. She was distressed, and no one was rude enough to ask her what was wrong. Josh pulled a stack of napkins from the glove compartment and handed them back for her to wipe her eyes and blow her nose. Kyle took his jacket off and draped it over Alice's shoulders before he began to rub her back. Ethan held her tighter as Mikey got out and waved goodbye before running up to his dad, who was waiting on the steps of their small house.

No one spoke as they drove back to Alice's house, or as they pulled into the driveway. Josh put the car in park and took a deep breath before turning back to Alice.

"Do you want me to get your parents?"

Alice nodded, unable to form words. Ethan helped sit her upright as Josh got out and ran to the door. She wiped her eyes on the back of her hand before sliding across the seat and out, where Ethan and Kyle offered her their hands to get her to the door. She took them with a strained smile, and with the help of Ethan and her crutch, made her way to the door where Karie was waiting, worried.

"Oh hon," she whispered as Alice limped up the steps. "Let's get you to bed. Ethan, could you lock the door behind you?"

She wrapped an arm around Alice and walked her into the house, leaving Ethan on the front porch with Kyle and Josh. Josh rubbed his arms and smiled at Kyle. "It's getting cold, I'll wait in the car."

He walked back and sat in the driver's seat, giving Kyle a thumbs up before ducking below the window. Kyle laughed nervously and rubbed the back of his neck before turning back to Ethan.

"Sorry about that," he said. "I wanted tonight to be normal, but it seemed really awkward."

Ethan smiled sadly. "Yeah, it was awkward for me too."

Kyle held out his hand. "Don't take it the wrong way, I really like you." Ethan felt himself cave in and prepared for the disappointment. He closed his eyes and tried to fight back the tears. Everything he'd gone through to get there, and to end up here, and it was all for nothing.

"Ethan?" Kyle asked, setting a hand on Ethan's cheek. "Are you listening?"

Ethan opened his eyes and felt his face turn pink. "Sorry, I was- I'm sorry. I really wanted tonight to be perfect."

Kyle laughed and shook his head. "Yeah, it was pretty rough, and that's why I was asking if we could go out on Saturday?"

"Saturday?" Ethan asked in surprise.

Kyle nodded. "I really like you Ethan. You're sweet, and funny, and I've never met a guy like you. But tonight went horribly, between the fighting and how awkward we were together. So can I make a proposal?"

Ethan nodded. "Please."

"This Saturday," Kyle said, taking Ethan's hand in his, "I will pick you up for our first date, and we call tonight just two people getting to know each other. Deal?"

Ethan smiled wider and nodded. "That sounds wonderful. I can't wait."

Kyle smiled awkwardly, but sincerely. "Great," he whispered. "I'll plan something tomorrow, and  I'll pick you up at two. How does that sound?"

"Perfect," Ethan replied.

Kyle wrapped his arms around Ethan in a hug. "Thanks for giving me a second shot. I promise you it'll be great."

Ethan hesitated before hugging him back. "Trust me, I couldn't be more happy."

They dropped their embrace as Josh honked the horn and leaned out the window. "Kyle, we really should get going!"