Chapter Twenty Five

Ethan began making his way to Mikey's locker, which had become their morning routine. Ethan, who got to school early, would wait there until Mikey walked in, and together, they'd make their way to class. Despite feeling uncomfortable this morning, Ethan was excited. Wednesdays meant club day, and he couldn't wait for another meeting.

To Ethan's surprise, Mikey was already waiting by his locker. His friend smiled as he walked up, and when they were close enough, Mikey bumped him with his elbow.

"So, how did last night go?" Mikey asked.

Ethan rubbed his neck, feeling a light blush crawl up. "Stop, I'm going to turn into you."

Mikey rolled his eyes and began searching through his locker for something. "Oh shut up, you know it'll never be that bad. Now, tell me," Mikey turned to meet Ethan's eyes, "did you two make out?"

Ethan's face burned red. Mikey squealed and set his hands on Ethan's shoulders. "I knew it! You guys hit it off! And now we've both got a boyfriend."

Ethan set his hand over Mikey's mouth. "Dude, not so loud," he whispered, looking around for one of Tyler's friends. The last thing he wanted was a repeat of last night. "And besides, it wasn't even lips. He kissed my cheek and left."

Mikey pushed away Ethan's hand. "Still," he said, finally pulling his lost book from his locker, "it's better than nothing. And I'll bet that soon enough, you'll get to full on li-"

Ethan again covered Mikey's mouth. "Dude, come on, I don't need to hear that now. Can we just get to class?"

Mikey nodded and let Ethan drag him through the halls. The classroom was full when they walked in, except for Tyler's empty seat. Mikey smiled when he saw it and when no one but Ethan could see, Mikey flipped off the desk. Ethan couldn't help but smile. Tyler was a jerk, and he deserved what he'd gotten.

Ethan pulled out the previous night's unfinished homework, which he'd neglected in favor of his date. Mikey took one look at the empty worksheet and smiled.

"Are you already planning on letting Kyle be the money maker in the relationship while you take care of the kids?"

Ethan shoved Mikey lightly, or at least, he thought he had. Mikey ended up sprawled on the ground, dazed.

Ms. Keller chose that moment to walk in, and Ethan soon found himself standing alone in the hall, waiting on her to walk back out.

Ms. Keller rubbed her eyes as she closed the door behind her. "I'm sorry about that Ethan," she apologized. "I'm just so used to him getting picked on. He told me what happened, and you're not in trouble."

Ethan felt relief settle in his stomach before he saw her red eyes. Slowly, he reached out and set a hand on her elbow. "Are you alright?"

Ms. Keller gave him a forced smile. "I just need to get eight hours tonight, and I'll be fine tomorrow. I was kept up all night. Apparently, your mother called the school, something about you running away, and I had to deal with a bunch of bull that should have been between her and the principal, but no," she drew out, kicking the wall beside her, "call on me to take care of every stupid problem a parent of one of my students has."

Ethan dug his toe into his shoe. Alice's old running shoes, actually, that she didn't use because she didn't fit them anymore. And she couldn't run anymore. But at least they were black, and comfortable. He hadn't realized how badly he'd needed new shoes.

"Ethan?" Ms. Keller asked. Ethan looked up, a pull in his chest telling him that he wanted to go home. "Are you alright?"

Ethan nodded. He could get through the morning, at least. Maybe use Maddy's phone to call Karie or Nicole to pick him up. Fake a stomach bug, or throw up in the bathroom.