IV. Justice

CHAPTER 1x04

IV. Justice

"Someone out there?!" Bellamy shouted, "Jones?!"

"We're here." Someone exclaimed through the trees.

Charlotte grabbed Clarissa's hand, and followed.

"Where did they go?" Bellamy asked.

"We found a cave." The guy answered.

"What the hell was that?"

"I think it was a radiation cloud." Clary answered.

"Where's Atom?" Bellamy looked around.

Everyone faced each other as the other group shrugged.

Oh no.

A cry caught Clarissa's attention. She ran towards it and found Charlotte, somehow the girl had managed to let go of her hand and wonder the hoods, she was now looking at something on the ground. Clary followed her gaze and as soon as she identified the reason for the scream, she pulled Charlotte to her chest, her eyes not leaving the body.

Bellamy showed up next, looking at his friend and then at her.

"Son of a bitch. Atom."

The rest of the group arrived later and Bellamy stood up, as much as she didn't want to admit it, it wasn't easy. His vulnerability didn't escape her eyes. Charlotte dropped her hand and went to the Bellamy, handing him her knife.

"Go back to the camp everyone!"

"Charlotte!" Clarissa called the girl that rushed to her side. She looked her in the eye, "Go back with them, see if Clarke is back already and call her here, would you?"

"And you, Clary?"

"I'm gonna try to save him, okay?"

Clarissa watched as Charlotte joined the group and followed them through the forest, and just then she turned around and knelt by Bellamy's side, on Atom's other side. He was too wounded, and she knew there was nothing to be done; not even Clarke would be able to save him. He was a lost cause beyond fixing, or healing.

Atom pleaded, "Bellamy, please."

Clary ran her hands through her blonde locks, sighing deeply; she was at war with herself, debating the best option, the best choice. It seemed so bad at her eyes. Bellamy looked at her watching as she continued to study Atom's wounds, and could see the heartbreaking shook of her head, giving him the bad news. She couldn't even face him.

Clarissa smiled soflty, "I'll help you. Okay? It'll be okay, Atom."

She put one of her hands on Atom's head, affectionately. Through her lips began to sound the song that her mother sang to her and Clarke when they were little, the one she couldn't sleep without hearing. It was calm and happy. The other hand went to the knife that Bellamy was helding, and she took it from his hand and brought it to his friend's neck. Then she did it. The sweet melody continued to echo through the forest. Atom's eyes finally closed and she knew he was already dead, yet continued to sing, running her hands, sweetly, through his dark hair.

"Clary,"

Clarissa stopped the melody, turning around to see Clarke. One glance, and she faced Atom again, singing the little tune again. Maybe he had been gone in peace.

Clarke just stood there, watching her sister deal with what she had just done. Her eyes flew to Bellamy, who just kept his gaze on Clary, admiring her, thanking her. That was why she was always the perfect one. Clarke didn't know if she would have been able to take the burden out of Bellamy's shoulders. She probably wouldn't have done it.