17. As It Is In Heaven

They were terrified, huddled together in their holy places just like it'd been said. Every manner of religious person had sought shelter in the churches across the earth, and one such congregation remained as they had been since the world had begun to end-trapped together in silent prayer as they awaited rescue. It was almost eerie the way they sat like statues, silent and without moving, though they were unable to remain that way for long. In no time at all the foundation under their feet began to shake, causing some murmurs and several exclamations. Then there was a bright light, shining in through all the windows, blinding them as their murmurs turned to screams.

When it became too much for them they broke from their motionlessness, running to the doors only to find them slamming shut by some unseen force, and they were unable to be opened again. Then the light subsided, and the ground was still once again, and for only a brief second did they think it was over. But the light had only redirected, brighter and burning hot, and it cut through the ceiling, centered on the altar like a spotlight as something-or rather someone-descended in to greet them.

"Sheep, running back to the shepherd in search of salvation." Andreegys goaded them, his silver eyes doing more to terrify them than the grit of his voice. He had no care for what they had to say, even as most of them sank back to their knees, closing their eyes as they whispered prayers for their own souls. Though a few dared to stand before him, rebuking him as if he were the devil himself. Yet it was all the same to him, and he laughed as he outstretched his arms, preparing for the slaughter. "Your god is not here."

As Andreegys murdered the faithful, who cried out for help that did not arrive, Toby and the others were searching for their own kind of aid. It hadn't been long since he joined his friends back in the main part of the cave, and he was aware that they all understood what his return meant. It left a dark cloud over them and they were silent. Myrna had also decided to come back, learning that she held Cliff's soul, but without her magic she was unsure what she could do and so she too was silent-though her mousy disposition was easily explained away by all the other things hanging over them.

"So are we just supposed to sit here and wait for the inevitable?" Of course it was Cliff who spoke up, unable to be respectful of the dead given his current situation. "Because if that's the case then I think I'd rather just take my chances out there."

"Hold your tongue," Qui'hara glared at him, "we will soon decide our next move."

"Well, not to put too fine a point on it, but that's kind of what you've been saying for the longest time, and if none of you have gotten any clue by now then it's probably not going to happen." He continued.

"I know what to do." Toby held no emotion in his voice as he spoke, producing the small book that he'd been keeping safe since he'd come upon it. "I found Blair's grimoire in the field when I went back to look for Lorelei."

"You could've mentioned that sooner." The former cop sighed heavily as Myrna reached over him and took the book of magic.

"There were more important things." Percy corrected him, offering a sympathetic and reassuring look to the hybrid.

"I figure all we need is to do the exorcism again," Toby stated.

"We've already been through this, it's been asked and answered. Blair made it perfectly clear that it was a one-time thing." The ghost countered.

"This isn't right," Myrna frowned, whispering to herself so quietly that no one else could hear. But indeed she was confused as she continued to read over the spell.