Chapter Forty Five ~ Lenora the Actress

December 21st, 1816.

Capitol City of Portland, Oregon Province.

Lenora was promptly dropped off at the Castle before sunset could even begin, exactly as she promised. In fact, it was hardly past noon when she arrived. She walked across the Castle's front garden with a confident air about her. Soldiers of the Washington Military, Greycoats, stood guard at the front of the Castle as if they were already assigned to guard duty.

"Milady," the both said, bowing their heads as she passed by.

"Good afternoon, boys," Lenora said with what almost sounded like a seductive tone of voice. She stopped walking and turned towards one of them. "You coming to the wedding tomorrow?"

"Y-Yeah," that guard stammered. Lenora feigned a provocative smile at him when she noticed he was blushing beneath his helm. "Nicholas sure is a lucky man to get to marry a Princess like you."

"You're too sweet," Lenora giggled. "Well, I look forward to seeing you two at the reception!" She started walking away and she turned her face towards them, winking before she continued walking. The two guards practically swooned as she entered the Castle. Almost as soon as the door closed, that smile faded away as Lenora looked around. "Mom and dad, you two better be okay..."

Lenora started walking quickly down the main corridor of the Castle with a bit of concern. Please, don't let Nicholas be near, she thought to herself. Her pulse seemed to quicken with every step. It was as if she was expecting some sort of monster to be hiding at any turn, and if she took the wrong turn, it would catch her. Finally, she approached the Castle Courtyard. Not too far from it was the Castle's church. Lucius was sure to be in there. She quickly opened the doors to the church and saw Lucius praying at the front. He stopped as soon as Lenora entered and he stood, walking towards her with a somber expression.

"I am so sorry," he said quietly, placing a hand on her shoulder. "I wish there was a way we could—"

"You have no reason to apologize," Lenora replied in a low and gentle tone of voice. "We are ending this tomorrow during the wedding reception. Xander and I just headed to Eugene and back to get help from Millicent, Horace, and Rin, and they're executing a part of our plan." Lucius had an absolutely dumbstruck expression.

"I have so many questions," he said. "But judging by the urgency of the matter and your authoritative approach to this, I have a feeling we don't have time for those questions."

"Exactly," Lenora chuckled. "I'm going to need your help here in the Castle." She looked around before leaning forward, whispering. "I need you to talk to Nicholas and the Chancellor. As you will be the official handling the wedding, they'll probably be okay with getting to know you, and... perhaps talking to God through you."

"But I'm just a Cleric!" Lucius whispered. "I don't have that kind of authority, Lenora."

"They don't know that." Lenora grinned and nudged Lucius. "I'm playing the deceiving act, so I think you should be in on it too. That way, they're fully convinced that we're 'welcoming' them and they don't launch their planned assault on us."

"Planned assault!?"

"It would take some time to explain, but could you please just distract them for as long as possible today?"

With all that information, Lucius felt a bit overwhelmed, but at the same time, Lenora's confidence made even him confident. He smiled and Lenora and nodded. "I'll scour the Castle for them," he said. "You just do what you have planned." They nodded at each other and left the church, heading the same general direction. The Chancellor and Nicholas walked their way too, and before Nicholas could say anything, Lucius ran towards them. "Wonderful day today, isn't it?" he asked, blocking them from Lenora. Lenora walked away smiling, heading for the throne room as she could hear Nicholas bickering a little bit with Lucius.

The door to the throne room was slightly opened once Lenora approached it. Inside, she saw a sorrowful sight—her parents looked so defeated and close to tears. Finally, Lenora walked inside.

"Mom?" Lenora said quietly. "Dad?" At the sound of her voice, Maevis and Nohr looked up at her with tired eyes. They stood from their thrones with trembling legs as they ran towards her. She caught both of them in a wide embrace before they could fall to the ground.

"They didn't leave us with a choice," Nohr whispered. Even his voice was weak from staying awake stressed out all night. "They didn't leave us with a choice, Lenora. I'm so sorry..." Lenora tightened her embrace around bother her parents, and they both sobbed quietly. Lenora let go of them and looked at them with a smile.

"I'm not getting married to him," she said in a gentle tone. "And the War of 1806 will not be repeated. I promise." Maevis sniffled a little and smiled back at her.

"I know that look in your eyes," she said. "You have a plan, don't you?" Lenora couldn't answer her. She turned towards the door to the throne room and saw two Greycoats approaching them.

"The show is just beginning," she whispered to her parents. "We're the leads, and all eyes are on us. Let's give them a show." Without another word, Lenora walked towards the Greycoats and winked at them as she left the throne room.