The Gifts

It didn't get any better. People just didn't care about me. And why should they? I was the new school slut, and not by choice.

My parents were supposed to get back tomorrow, and I was glad to get my mind off school. Since I didn't need to leave for school till 8:00 I decided to clean while jamming to music, I mean who cleans without Shawn Mendes in the background? So I started by playing 'no promises' and then clicked shuffle. I started with the kitchen them moved into the living room. After I finished cleaning I checked the time, 7:12.

I started up for my room to go put makeup, I heard the doorbell ring. I stepped back down the stairs and answered it, and when I saw who it was I almost threw up. Brandon and Bailey stood, smirking on my front porch.

Trying to keep my cool I said,"and what would you want?" I closed the door a little, but Brandon saw and put his foot in the way.

"We just wanted to give you a gift! Can't we be nice to you?" Bailey asked, nicely, batting her perfect, heavily mascaraed lashes. I wanted to copy her in a rude way, to mock the fake-ness in her tone.

"What gift?"I asked cautiously.

They looked at each other, then Brandon smiled,"this gift."

He handed me a small package, it was wrapped elegantly in black wrapping paper that had a matte finish. It had a blood-red ribbon tied around it with a perfection to it. I glanced up at them from the package. I didn't want to open it so I was just going to throw it away.

I plastered a fake smile, and murmured "Thank you, see you at school!" Then tried to close the door, but forgot that Brandon's foot was in the way. He put his hand on the door and pushed it back open.

"Not so fast. Open it now."

"Oh come on, Alex, right? It's just a gift!" Bailey begged.

I wanted to slam both their heads against the red and black brick of my house, but instead closed my door with me outside. A hand firm on the doorknob and the other on the gift, I looked up. It was like my eyes were bleeding, but looked back down anyway.

Brandon gestured to open it quickly, so I did. I tore the paper away after pulling the ribbon off. I pulled the lid off the box and looked inside, it was just a piece of glass. Maybe from a mirror.

I looked up, confusion smacked my face, showing obviously. Bailey laughed at me as I took it out of the box.

"And this is for?"

"Oh, Alexis! It's a shard of your car windshield! We thought you should have a piece of the glass, it is your car! Oh and don't forget the note!" Bailey made a kissy face then flipped her hair and stalked down the cement steps, Brandon holding her left hand.

I was frozen for a minute, not understanding what just happened. When their Mercedes pulled out of my driveway and off my street, I ran down the steps. I looked at the car and saw the windshield and side mirrors were shattered, glass littering the cement and dashboard.

My parents car!! Oh no, what was I going to say?? I was screwed, and screamed right there. Just screamed. My life was gone, and so was my parents trust in me too. I couldn't tell them that the kids from my school broke it. I had to lie.

I walked back in and remembered that Bailey had said there was a note inside the box. I grabbed it from the place I dropped it and looked inside. The white sheet of paper showed ink on the opposite side, and I started to get nervous as I slowly raised it.