Chapter 3

Two weeks passed normally for the rest of the townspeople as they did their daily activities that were in constant functioning as their bodies. The Beaumont family applied their minds to jobs they had never done. Cleaning their farmhouse, tending to the lands, chopping wood for fire. It was a far cry from the luxuries of their former years.

Ian raised the axe above his head and brought it down upon his victim, a log that stood upon its chopping block. The split pieces fell backwards onto the ground. He bent down to retrieve the pieces. He groaned as his back became sore.

"Father."

He looked up to see Joanna walking over to him.

"You know you shouldn't be doing that," Joanna said as she picked up the pieces. "Why didn't you call for me?"

Ian smiled as he rose up. I didn't want to bother you." He brought down the axe into the stump. "Besides, you were busy."

She flashed a smile. "I just finished." She turned in the direction of the farm where the wood pile grew. Ian rested his hands on his hips as he observed the house. It changed a great deal since they arrived. Two weeks. It seemed a lot longer to him. It was sure to be two years to the girls.

Ian prepared to go inside but the sound of approaching hooves caught his attention. He turned to the road and saw a man on horseback. As he got closer, Ian noticed his uniform. A mail carrier. Ian treaded to the gate. He wasn't expecting any mail but the horse seemed to be slowing down as it approached the house.

Maybe he needs directions. But Ian didn't know that much about the area. Especially since the road seemed to enter into the forest, an area he had never ventured into.

"Excuse me, Mr. Beaumont?"

Ian raised his eyebrows in slight surprise. "Yes."

The carrier guided his horse closer to the gate. He reached into his bag, fishing through. He then pulled out a ivory envelope and handed it to him. Ian felt a sense of dread as he looked at the envelope. Was it the collectors wanting more? Ian reached for it and took it.

"Mr. Richelieu says he hopes to see you in Marseille real soon."

Ian looked up at the man, who gave a courteous tip of his hat. He guided his horse and soon galloped back the way they came. Ian's eyes followed the man as he opened the envelope. He looked down and saw the letter occupying its fold. The envelope fell to the ground as he took the letter out and opened it. From top to bottom, he read the letter. He didn't notice Joanna walking up to him

Joanna looked and saw his hands trembling.

"Father?"

There was no reply.

"Father?"

Ian turned around to face his daughter with a mask of shock on his face.

Joanna frowned. "What is it?"

...

Julianna held her breath as clouds of dust rose in the air, disturbed out of its settlement by her broom. She snapped her head at the sound of the door slamming.

"Julianna! Josephine! Come to the living room."

Julianna gave a relieved sigh as she let go of the broom. It fell onto the floor loudly. She heard the thudding steps as her sisters ran down. Josephine gave her older sister a look of puzzlement. Julianna responded with a shrug. They entered the room to see Joanna next to Ian, who was holding the letter. Joanna looked at her sisters, excitement bubbled in her.

Ian looked up at his girls. "I have some wonderful news. Monsieur Richelieu, my former partner, has just informed that one of my ships, the Hope, has been salvaged and is now at the port in Marseille. All of the merchandise is accounted for and unspoiled."

Josephine peered. "What does this mean?"

"It means fortune has favored us again, my love."

Julianna and Josephine looked at each other; their eyes bulging with surprise and felicity. Joanna smiled at her father. It seemed like Mother was with them. The ship was named after her.

"Now I cannot remember fully what was apart of the cargo but we will be blessed with more than what we have now."

"It's truly wonderful, Father," Joanna said.

"When do you planning on retrieving your fortune," Julianna asked.

"I'd leave right now but it would be dark by the time I come home and it can be dangerous at night. It would have to be in the morning. Tomorrow morning."

Julianna and Josephine squealed in excitement. Ian placed his hand on his chest, his heart beating with excitement.

"My God." He looked at his daughters. "Well, what would you want? I could stop off at one of the shops and get some celebratory gifts?"

"Better clothes." Julianna looked at her articles with contempt.

Josephine exhaled. "Maybe we can have a bigger house?"

"I'm not sure if we can get that."

"Oh, well maybe you could bring Gaston home."

Joanna furrowed her brows. "Why?"

"So I can kick him in the pig pen."

"Or you can set the Merchands' son on him?" Julianna snickered.

"Would you like an object that requires no violence," Ian asked, smiling

"Maybe some jewelry. A topaz bracelet. A diamond choker. A pair of sapphire earrings. Oh, surprise me."

"I will." Ian turned to Joanna. "Well, love. What would you want?"

Joanna shook her head. There was nothing that spoke out like a new gown or sparkling jewels.

"Another journal, perhaps. You can document our rise from the fall." Julianna joked. Josephine snickered.

"I could get one. Maybe with a beautiful, stunning cover."

"Thank you, Father but..." She trailed down the path of old memories and saw herself when she was younger admiring the gorgeous flowers at the florists.

"Joanna?"

"A rose."

Ian looked confused. Julianna and Josephine looked at each other, both sharing the same thought. Simple sister.

"I always loved the roses at Marseille. It would give me something to look forward to when spring finally comes."

"Well your birthday is coming up." Ian smiled. "Your wish is my command."

Julianna rolled her eyes.

Ian turned to his eldest. "Tomorrow evening, you will have what you asked for." He walked towards them. He kissed his eldest daughters on the cheek and walked out of the room.

Julianna turned to Joanna. "A rose?"

"Yes?"

"It'll perish before Father comes home."

"I'd be happy to offer you some of my jewels for your birthday."