Chapter 12 Farewell my Anna

Chapter 12

Farewell my Anna

I was so relieved to know Drake had accepted the fact that I was travelling. He had accepted it enough to visit Lyndon and invite him around. Of course, it was all for my benefit, but I was overwhelmed and grateful for his endless support. He had already been on the phone to Carl arranging my ‘going away gathering’ – which was awkward for me because this was one of the very few times I hadn’t confided in my brother. I was going to miss them enormously for however long I was going to be away, especially Summer-Rose.

   Drake and I spent the rest of the evening talking about our plans, and my hopes for the outcome of meeting the mysterious Rosalyn – until Lyndon knocked at the door. Drake jumped up to answer it, and in he walked, smart and dashingly handsome. Not at all looking like he had just come from roughing it in the forest. Not at all how I would look in a few weeks’ time, obviously. I smiled showing him I was happy and everything was okay. He smiled back in acknowledgment of that, with relief that we were all on the same level. I wasn’t being pulled in all different directions, and he wasn’t getting the blame.

“We are having a gathering at Carl’s on Wednesday and I think you should be there. If Carl needs to know the details, I won’t know the answers and neither will Anna. So, if you can come and bring Lyric, I think that would be best. I’m sure there will be things Carl will want to know.” Drake spoke with control and fairness but I could tell by his deep concentrating stare it was hard for him.

   Having confidence in Drake’s new found maturity, and the fact he was capable of having an adult conversation with Lyndon, I left them to it and filled the kettle with water. Preparing the cups, I listened gently to the conversation in the background that the two most important people in my life were having. I smiled feeling the whole of my insides warm. I felt over emotional and had to compose myself before carrying the drinks over to them. I joined them back at the table, trying not to disturb their medium.

“Anna, here is a list of stuff you will need to take. Do you have a travel backpack at all?” Lyndon asked, unafraid to speak openly about it in front of Drake. It was refreshing.

“No, I don’t, but I will get one.” I smiled. I felt shy. Timid. Maybe it was nerves setting in about the decision I’d made. Was it the right decision? I didn’t know. And, I was unlikely to know that until we were off and travelling. I pushed my feelings aside and involved myself in the conversation.

   I picked up the list and skimmed through.

“This really is just the essentials,” I stated with sarcasm at the small amount of stuff I was permitted to take.

“Yes. We try to be as light as possible. It can get tiring having to carry all of our baggage around. Any more than that really is not needed.” Lyndon smiled regrettably, understanding my cosmetic dilemma.

“You’re not going on holiday, Anna. What did you expect?” Drake laughed as he held my hand to reassure me. “I’m sure you’ll be fine,” he continued. His teasing humour side broke through the cracks of his attempt to ease my concern.

“Of course you will. You should not lack confidence, you will be in safe hands,” Lyndon added, and as he did so, his eyes flickered to my and Drake’s hands. They were tightly closed around each other’s. I blushed for seconds, but when I looked back up at him, he’d already looked away. He held an expression on his face that told me he didn’t like what he was thinking. I saw him look over to the door and sensed he was about to leave. I slipped my hands from Drake’s and stood up. “Is anyone hungry? I will get some biscuits. Lyndon, I have some of those rice cakes you eat.”