Chapter 18 Reunited

Chapter 18

Reunited

The first thing we did the following day, after the huge English breakfast Drake had made was go and visit Carl, Sophie, and Summer-Rose. She had grown tremendously in the last two months, although only I could tell.

“Anna, what are you doing to yourself? Look at you,” Carl said as he hugged me close to him all brotherly and affectionate.

“I’m fine Carl, stop fussing. Drake will fatten me up in no time.”

“Lyndon, now I know why you always look like an extra from a vampire movie. But I liked my sister how she was.”

“Carl, don’t be rude,” I said, having my words ignore by the sound of Drake’s laughter.

“Yeah, Carl, don’t be rude. An extra is a little discrediting, try the main character.” Drake joined in between childish laughter. I rolled my eyes, getting that all-too familiar feeling back at Drake throwing in digs at Lyndon any chance he could get. But when I looked at Lyndon he was smirking too, so I couldn’t help seeing the funny side of it.

“So, has there been any more talk about a date yet . . . for the wedding?” Sophie asked, darting her eyes from me to Drake.

“Steady on Soph, she only got back yesterday,” Carl sarcastically quipped.

   Lyndon walked out to the backyard. I followed him with my eyes and sighed.

“We will be talking about that very soon, eh, Anna? We have an exciting couple of months ahead of us,” Drake continued. I nodded in his direction and then casually followed Lyndon outside.

“Hey, you seem quiet.”

   He looked over at me sharply, surprised. I had disturbed him from his solitude moment and for a second I wondered whether I should have.

“Don’t worry, I quite like vampires,” I said, holding a sorrowful look for him. He reciprocated with a forced smile from his troubled eyes.

“I will be heading off soon . . . leave you alone with your family.”

“You are my family.” I laughed.

“You know what I mean.” He looked down to stop himself talking further, or to hide his eyes.

“Where will you go?” I asked with an unexpected pang in my chest.

“I have to go to the shack. It must be finished by now. You should pop by later.”

“Yeah, I think I will.”

“Are you all good out here?” Drake asked, poking his head out of the double doors.

“Yeah, I’m coming in now.” I walked over to him and he instinctively put his arm around me.

Lyndon passed us elegantly and swift. “Bye, Drake,” he said quietly, in a tone that made me uncomfortable.

“See ya,” Drake replied, uncaring.

Carl saw him to the door, parting with a handshake of brotherly thanks.

   I turned to Sophie in the kitchen and helped prepare lunch. She buttered while I laid the meat on.

“Salad’s on the table for anyone who wants it,” Sophie said sliding the bowl into the middle. She then picked up the plate piled high with sandwiches. “So, how’s Tyler? Debbie misses him like mad.”

“He’s fine. He’s so happy out there, you have to see it to believe it.”

“Well, I’ll take your word for it. You won’t catch me anywhere near that kind of lifestyle.” She laughed. “So, was it really okay? And your Sister, was she what you had expected?” Her confiding tone was refreshing and I was grateful for that option to talk if I wanted to.