Chapter 10 Is blood truly thicker?

Chapter 10

Is blood truly thicker?

We finally parted with the trees onto a derelict pathway. There were large piles of tree branches and other miscellaneous in the way of anyone who would try to drive down the narrow road. I wondered how the small mobile home had got there. Maya-Ember’s home, I learned. She greeted us at the door just as Lyndon was about to knock.

“Hello, Rosanna. I’m so glad you came. Come in. It’s warm in here, make yourself at home.” She welcomed as she enticed us in.

   Ryvre was sitting at the small wooden table. It looked more like a café cubicle than a comfortable seat, but I was surprised at how much they could fit in the caravan-like vehicle. Caravan-like, but half the size.

“This is just a little something we picked up on our travels. So . . . how have you been, Rosanna? I would like to apologise for not coming here sooner. I have had a few things to deal with myself, but I need to embrace the situation, and you.” Her eyes welled up with emotion, but she smiled full-heartedly.

“Lyndon and I are going for a walk,” Ryvre said as he looked to Lyndon and nodded.

“Yes, of course. You needed help with that thing,” Lyndon replied unconvincingly.

   It was obvious that it was purely because we needed this long-awaited, important, heart to heart. We had things to discuss and we needed to get it out of the way. My meet up with Maya-Ember was something I’d been dreading for so long. It was never going to be easy for her to look me in the eyes, knowing I was her husband’s love child. The thought horrified me. I couldn’t even bring myself to imagine how difficult that would be. I felt guilty for feeling angry towards her at the time. I did so because I couldn’t understand how she could not have known. How could she not have sensed it? But Drake set me straight by reminding me she had been hurt also by the revelation of what had happened in Skyler’s past. And she was probably going through some mental turmoil, just like I was. It did me good to remind myself of that now.

   Ryvre opened the door and Lyndon followed him out. I felt the cold breeze brush passed me before the door was slammed shut.  It was just the two of us now, alone. Instead of shying away, I looked at her. I wanted to be strong and let her know it was okay. Her eyes seemed to tell me the same and I drew strength from them. I was grateful because strength was what I needed the most.

“Take a seat, Rosanna. I’ll get you a drink.” She went to the mini fridge that was on the small work top and pulled out a bottle of fresh mixed fruit juice. She handed it to me with joyful enthusiasm. “That’s freshly made. A friend and I make them. He has a shed exactly for that not very far from here. Tell me what you think.”

   I took a swig and was surprised at how strong and refreshing it was. “It’s very nice. You should make a proposal to the local stores. I could have a word with Carl if you’d like?”

   She smiled and sat down near me at the table. Her demeanour turned sombre.

“Anna, I was devastated with what happened between yourself and Lyndon. I punished myself for not seeing it. I was shocked at the revelation, of course, but the pain Lyndon was going through haunted me more than anything.”

“Wasn’t you angry at what Skyler had done?” I asked incredulous.

“Angry? With Skyler?  No. How could I be?”

“Well I would be, if that was me.”

“There was good reason for everything he did. He was special.” She paused in thought for a few minutes, and then continued. “Rosanna, there is no point holding anger, resentment, pain, or sorrow in your heart. It cannot be changed. Whatever made Skyler do what he did back then, it resulted in you. I always knew there was something more within you. . . A reason why you truly belonged with us.”