Chapter 7 Crisis, discovery & celebration

Chapter 7

Crisis, discovery & celebration

Drake greeted me with a big comforting embrace as I got to the top of the steps. I don’t know how he knew I had arrived back but it was just what I needed. Casey left straight away, leaving Drake to look on with amusement.

“What’s up with him? I was going to invite him in for birthday drinks.”

“Oh, that would have been nice,” I replied in thought, trying to take myself out of the dark spell I had found myself in this evening.

“Did anything—no, don’t worry.” He laughed, dismissing the thought immediately.

“It was okay, until Christina and Lyndon turned up,” I moaned.

“You’re kidding me! So it was like a double date?” He continued to make fun of the situation—typical Drake, style.

“Actually, it was really uncomfortable.”

“Why?”

“I don’t know. It doesn’t matter.”

“I get it, Anna. Of course it would be after everything you’ve been through. I guess it’s still weird to do the normal sibling thing. I don’t even really do any of that with Becky. We just humour each other, every now and then, slightly.”

“You’re good with Becky, you just don’t like to admit it. But no, it’s not that.” I shook my head, confused by it myself.

“No? Well . . . what is it then?” He stood there waiting for my answer, but I couldn’t give him one. I shrugged my tired shoulders and welcomed his diversion. He smiled, forgiving me for being so air-brained, and kissed me on the lips.

“Well whatever it is, I’m sure it will soon pass. You’re amazing, Anna. You can get through anything.”

“Yeah.” I smiled back. “As long as you are by my side.”

   I left him to his last few cans and got ready for bed. I took off my watch and slid it in the drawer of my bedside cabinet, remembering what Lyndon had said about the key from Skyler. I opened the drawer up again and took out the envelope, sighing deeply at the trouble all this was causing. Maybe I should just go there, get it over and done with. If it did concern them, then at least it will be out in the open, and Lyndon wouldn’t have anything to hold against me. I hated being pushed into anything. And although it was meant for me, I didn’t feel like I had complete control. I sighed again and threw it back in the drawer like a sulky teenager, and slammed it shut quickly, shutting out those thoughts that I wasn’t ready to deal with yet.

   I ignored Lyndon’s pleas over the next few days. He may not have been with me physically pleading, but in my head he was, constantly. I was determined to stand my ground, and if I didn’t want to go to that mail box, then I wouldn’t. If I decide to, when I’m good and ready, then that will be my decision and nobody else’s. A part of me wondered why I was being so stubborn. Is it because Lyndon wants it so badly?  Maybe I was being like this to defy him. I no longer knew myself anymore, or why I did the things I did.

   I was so angry when Lyric knocked on my door the Saturday after, demanding to see the letter. I couldn’t believe Lyndon had set him upon me like that.

“Rosanna, none of us have had contact with our father for a very long time. I barely remember him. Can you not understand why we would want to know what it is? Have a heart for our father’s sake!”

“I do have a heart—that’s the point. I’m scared Lyric. I’m scared it’s going to reveal something I’m just not ready for. We’re not ready for.” I hung my head down in frustration knowing it was pointless to get angry.