Chapter 24 Tying up loose ends . . . Maybe even burning some!

Chapter 24

Tying up loose ends . . .

Maybe even burning some!

Drake had taken care of most of the preparations for our big day, although I didn’t want it to be a big occasion. I recoiled at the title, ‘Big day’. Close family and friends had received their invitations; most of them phoned to thank us and confirm. Lyndon’s invitation still sat on the sideboard. I was unsure if, and how, I would get it to him. I knew he wouldn’t attend, anyway. But I still held hope in my heart that he wasn’t completely against my decision to carry on with my marriage to Drake. He and Drake and come to a subconscious acceptance of the past. They made it as far as being civilised to one another, but the imminent change in our future had affected Lyndon badly.

   So if he could not attend out of principal, then he would be a part of my past that I would have to leave behind. As much as that would kill me, I had to think about what my baby deserved. If he could not be my brother, and my baby’s uncle, then he would not have a place in my life anymore.

“Anna, are you doing okay with this?” Drake looked up at me and paused from going over the endless lists he’d made.

“Yeah, I . . . I just want it over now so I can focus on having our baby.”

“Yeah, I know. It will be. Just 3 more weeks to go.” He continued to look at me. “Nervous?” He raised his eyebrows but held a cheeky smirk.

“Anxious.” I nodded. “But the thought of childbirth kind of overpowers any anxiety I feel about the wedding.”

“Our wedding. Say our wedding, Anna. It won’t kill you.”

“Don’t be silly, Drake.”

“Then let me hear you say it,” he continued.

“Of course I can say it,” I laughed.

“Well . . . go on then.”

“Our wedding, Drake! We are getting married.” My stomach twisted. I couldn’t tell whether it was because of my baby moving or by my own insecurities.

   Drake’s smile widened. “I want to make you proud. I want it to be the best day of your life.” His boyish look was gone and a serious one had taken its place.

“And I’m sure it will be, Drake.” I smiled.

   I spent the following day at Carl and Sophie’s. I was well in need of a lighter, care free day. So I decided spending the day with Sophie and Summer-Rose would be the ideal thing. We took a slow walk to the nearby park and I pushed my niece gently on the swing. It was hard to believe I would be doing this with my own child in a few years. I looked over at Sophie; she sat wrapped up in a rose pink woolly hat and scarf, with her grey coat tied snuggly around her. She waved over at us enthusiastically as she watched us have fun.

   Summer-Rose had refused to keep her gloves on so her hands were cold and red, matching the tip of her nose. It wasn’t as cold as it had been. I could feel the suns struggle against the chill on my face, but the warm air I breathed out still ended in a haze of fog. It was winters struggle with spring. Winter didn’t want to give the reins up yet. It was still hanging on to every last bit of coldness it could, just so it knew it had done its job properly. Why is everything always a war?

   When Summer-Rose agreed her hands were frozen enough—I do love that stubborn, childish defiance, we headed back to the house and enjoyed a generous lunch spread, laid by Sophie. Summer-Rose thought it would be funny to throw her food all over the floor.