Epilogue

I sighed as I sat on my throne; Briana, Peter and Culpepper all at my feet, hands bound together. I reread the letter Theo found not too long ago as Harry said "The crimes of treason are obvious: They wanted to kidnap Henry and put Fleur on the throne, displacing you in the process."

"Culpepper...why? Charles is going on the warpath, marching on his Eastern neighbors and since his defeat of the muslims at the battle of Tours, the entire Christian world is bowing to him! He seeks to rebuild the Western Roman Empire and Cardinal George has informed us that the Pope might crown him Emperor of this new 'holy' empire. Britannia has a powerful enemy in this 'Holy Roman Empire' and you want to divide us?" I asked, feeling hurt and betrayed.

Culpepper spoke slowly, choosing his words carefully "Highness, I have always been loyal and faithful to you...but your entire reign...you will not be remembered in history...you're not...you have Harry as your Consort instead of a woman and most everyone knows it, even if they don't say it to your face. What you're doing is condemned in the holy book."

"...So this is what's it all about?" I asked quietly. Culpepper spoke in shaking sobs, on the verge of tears "I helped you because I needed you and I continued to help you, after the Norwegians were gone, because I thought that you were our best chance...Charles made us a deal that said that if we can get you off the throne, he would leave us alone...we knew that Prince Henry would be upset at your disappearance so we were going to kidnap him and then...get you off the throne, placing your daughter upon it."

I looked at the other two, who looked away from me, before looking at Harry and saying "So...if I get off the throne...Charles won't attack?" "That was his promise" Culpepper said. I stood up "It's an easy choice then. Everything I have done, I have done for my people and my country."

-

"From prince of Britannia to prince of pigs, how far I have fallen" Henry whined as he walked into our home and collapsed on the bed, chest heaving for air. "Did you tag all of pigs we're going to sell in town on the ear like I asked?" I said as I grabbed some stuff to fix the wagon. "No, I just rolled out in the mud with them" Henry said sarcastically. I chuckled and went outside, leaving him to whine about how tiring it was to be a farmer. Truth be told I didn't really miss court life, I had to watch what I said far too much; being a farmer suited me more.

"All ready to go to market?" Liam asked, pulling up a wagon to our house loaded with goods. "Almost, having some issues with his Highness" I teased and Liam laughed "Yeah, Niall isn't much of a farmer either." "I was surprised when he agreed to come with us" I said as I went to grab a cart horse. "Well after Britannia dissolved into the four kingdoms again, Niall and Greg were both unwelcomed in Ireland as they supported you. Greg retired in Mullingar, exactly like we did, and Niall hates ships so he just came with us."

I sighed and looked at the sky for a while "Do you think anyone will remember us?" I asked. Liam smiled sadly "My contacts in London say that King Richard is destroying all evidence of you and your daughter Fleur, who has fled deep into hiding as some still think she is the rightful queen...for better or worse." "I was surprised when she refused Britannia, but maybe she saw what she would be walking into and decided against it" I said as I started hitching up my horses to the cart.

"Alright I'm ready" Henry said, coming out of the house with a clean shirt. "Where do you want to sit?" Harry asked, as he put some bags of flour in the cart. "Next to you" I answered with a grin. "Are you ever going to tell Henry about who...birthed him?" Liam whispered. I shook my head "He doesn't need to know. C'mon let's go!" I said as Harry carefully wrapped some fresh baked bread to sell. "Where is Theo?" Henry asked as he and Harry got into my cart." "He'll meet us in town, Niall is coming up with a new game where you use a stick to hit a ball in a hole or something and tricked Theo into playing with him" Liam said.

"Enough chatter, let's go" I said, getting into the driver's seat of the cart. "Wherever you go, we'll follow you. In this lifetime or any others that follow" Liam said and Harry nodded. "How dramatic" Henry said "Like anyone would be able to keep you guys apart from being friends." "Friends...that's exactly what we are" I said, making eye contact with Harry who nodded "Best friends." "I am in fact straight, after all" I said, clicking my tongue to make my horse walk forward.

"I may not be King anymore" I whispered to Harry "And I may not be able to shower you with gold, gems and prestige...but I hope you know that you'll always be the king of my heart." Harry smiled "I never wanted all of that, the smile that makes your eyes crinkle up is more than enough for me."

AN: Thanks so much for reading this, I really hope you liked it. I had a blast writing this.

If you like this story, but want something with a more magical flair [i.e. something in the high fantasy genre] check out my new story The Second Age of Fire. It has the whole shebang: Elves, Dragons, Dwarves, Magic and Gods.

All the Love,

Dominic