Chapter 19

I lugged the last box into the studio, dropping it onto the hardwood floor. Books exploded from it as the side of the box gave way, but I didn't care. It was over. I had finally gotten the last box from my Mom's house. I was home.

The studio was simple. There were only two rooms, the big living room, bedroom, kitchen area and a tiny bathroom that promised I would develop claustrophobia before the end of my first shower. But it was mine which was liberating.

The majority of the apartment was a big open room with a small kitchenette set over cabinets. Boxes, pieces of unassembled wooden furniture, and a mattress was piled in the middle. I hated decorating. I was starting to think maybe I could just move the mattress to the middle of the room and sleep like that for a few months before tackling the rest.

"Close the door," Jake's muffled voice echoed in the apartment as he walked in, strong arming seven bags of groceries. The plastic hung from his arms, cutting into his flesh.

"What the hell, Jake!" I scolded as I ran to shut the door and then help him remove the bags from his arms.

"I didn't want to have to go back to the car again!" He crabbed and sat down hard on the floor with a "whoosh" of air. "Remind me to never agree to help someone move again."

"I barely have any stuff..." I mumbled, knowing exactly what he meant. I couldn't imagine trying to move someone who had lived in one place for years... with multiple rooms.

"But the few things you do have, are all books," he groaned and leaned back on the wall.

It was true.

I hadn't taken any furniture from the house other than my bed which I had bought when I got sick of sleeping in a twin bed. With my nightmares, I found myself ending up on the floor when confined to a small bed.

The studio apartment was a renovated loft so the walls were brick, which meant I

wouldn't be able to mount a TV or bookshelves. So much for any floating bookshelves to free up floor space. Instead, I figured I'd pick up a big bookcase and just stack what overflow I had.

"So..."

I looked up and met Jake's eyes. He was scrutinizing me again. Like he wanted to ask but was afraid of pushing me.

I looked away. I wanted nothing more than for him to go away now. Which sucked. I had never, ever not enjoyed time with Jake. He truly was my oldest and best friend.

"Have you met someone?"

My eyes flicked up. Ugh if only it was only that.

But something in my expression brought a smile out on Jake's lips.

"That's it isn't it!" He exclaimed practically shimmining over to me.

My mouth dropped open, as I was a loss of words. It wasn't exactly a lie. I had met several people... My mind slipped to me against the wall and Marack pressed up against my back... and of Tom moving a whisp of my hair out of my face, gently touching my cheek.

My face warmed. "Not exactly..."

But it was too late to back out now.

"Jamie, you little harlot!"

"It's not like that!"

"Then what's it like?"

"Definitely not what you are thinking," I retorted.

He watched me for a moment, his lips slightly quirked upright, waiting.

I sighed. Maybe it would help to open up a little.

"I..." and then I paused. "It's just not like that, Jake." There was no way to explain the ordeal with Marack and the others. "I have like... a tutor."

"Tutoring you in the ways of loooove?" He teased and I rolled my eyes.

"No," I growled. "But it's really up in the air right now. I've only met with him once."

Jake's smile reached his ears. "So it is a guy?"

I huffed and threw my hands in the air, defeated. "Yes. It's a guy tutor. And he seems cool with me. Ya know? It's not like a thing or anything... but it's nice..." I stopped.

It's nice to have another friend.

Shame hit me as Jake understood the words I hadn't spoken.

"You know it is ok to have more than one friend, right? I mean who knows when we get to college... We both could start seeing other people."

I nodded and leaned against him. "I just... I feel like we are going in different directions. I don't want to lose you."

Jake wrapped his arms around me, snuggling me to him.

"You will never lose me, no matter what," he said. "Not even if you turn my hot college boyfriend straight."

I snorted. "Yeah cause I'm real good at turning guys straight," I said with a wink.

He returned the snort. "It's just... you don't usually keep things from me. Is he ugly or something?"

I popped up, turning to face him. "What? No! I mean he's gorgeous..." And I groaned. I had fallen right into Jake's trap.

Jake's raised his eyebrows at me. Maybe it WAS a good thing to not tell him things after all.

"Just don't shut me out, Jamie," He said, surprisingly, dropping his teasing.

I nodded, only because I didn't know what the future held, and I didn't want to lie to

him... at least out loud.

********

Dinner was Chinese take out and we shared a quart of fried rice, egg rolls, and some crab rangoons while we watched Dancing with the Stars on Youtube with stolen Wi Fi from the Chinese restaurant downstairs.

Hey, no judging, we were paying customers after all and who knew when Time Warner Cable would be out to set up my net.

And to make sure I wouldn't end up sleeping on a mattress on a floor for the next few days... or weeks... or months, Jake helped me build my bed. And when we were finally finished building and making the bed, he gave me a kiss on the forehead.

"I'll see you tomorrow for our 'run'?" He whined the last word, as if he were five years old and just given a plate of brussel sprouts.

"Bright and early!" I taunted.

He groaned and slipped out the door, sliding it shut behind him. I walked over to the sliding door and bolted it.

I was alone. Alone for the first time in my apartment.

It was oddly satisfying and terrifying at the same time. I turned and leaned against the door.

My own space. I finally had control of my life... well almost.

I could only hope that once Marack saw that I COULD handle myself, that he'd change his mind.

A cool breeze caressed my skin, raising gooseflesh along my arms. My eyes surveyed the apartment, stopping at the window on the far side of the brick wall. The window was open.

I didn't remember opening it... and it was January.

I frowned, striding across the small living space, and closed it, locking the window. Jake must of opened it when we were building the bed...

I turned and half screamed, clapping my hand over my mouth as I saw a man laying on the bed, his ankles crossed, his hands behind his head.

It was Tom.