C H A P T E R TWELVE

There was Ace waiting for me so we could start our routine. I felt different around him now. All feelings I had were now gone.

"Hey," he smiled. His hand was already open, waiting for my cup.

"How are you doing this Monday?" I chirped.

"I'm fine. You seem happier than usual." He noticed.

"I had a good weekend."

"So, I've been meaning to talk to you." He said. I sensed something was wrong. He seemed tense or uncomfortable.

"Yes?"

"Caitlyn and I have decided to try a thing." he tapped on the side of my cup. It irritated me, so I snatched it back.

"What's that supposed to mean?"

"It means you and I have to stop messing around." He sighed.

"Do you even want to leave me? Really?" I scoffed. I couldn't believe it. I leave town for one day and I come back to this bullshit!

"What you and I have isn't real. It probably never would've been. Caitlyn and I just...,"

"Shut the fuck up." I said. I was angry at him. I wanted to scream and punch him. Hell, I wanted to push him down the stairs. I wanted to push Caitlyn down the stairs too.

"Why must you always throw a fit when you're angry?" he rolled his eyes.

"Don't worry about I how handle myself when I'm angry. I wouldn't have to throw fits if you didn't make me angry." I glared at him.

"Everything makes you angry!" he raised his voice. A few heads turned to us. I snatched his collar and dragged him into the stairwell.

"Don't you ever draw attention to me like that again." I jabbed a finger into his shoulder.

"You get me so worked up." He clenched his fists.

"Because you care. You know you do. You probably even liked me for some time."

He was silent. Cat got your tongue, Ace? Or am I just right as usual? He bit his cheek.

"Well you must've cared too." He said quietly.

"You've made a mistake, Ace." I shook my head. He finally realized what we could've been, but he chose her. Again!

"I've gotta go, Charlotte. I'm sorry." He leaned forward to kiss me, but I stepped back. Hurt flashed across his face but then he went blank. I realized he stayed blank to hide his emotions.

I leaned against the wall and sipped my coffee. I stood there, thinking. Maybe Ace and I were supposed to separate to make room for Aidan.

"Well, well, well, look who it is." Caitlyn snickered as she came down the stairs.

"Don't test me, Caitlyn. I will ruin you." I said. She did not know me at all! She didn't know what secrets I held. She reached my level and was standing eye to eye with me.

"Did Ace talk to you yet? Your little fling is over! He's mine now." She spit. Yeah, he was hers for now. He still liked me and I could see it in his eyes.

"And whenever I feel like taking him back, you better believe I will. So enjoy your time with him because, bitch, it won't be long."

"Whatever, slut." She rolled her eyes and walked to the stairs to go down to the first floor. My blood boiled in my body.

"Caitlyn?"

"What?" she turned around, glaring at me. One foot was on my level and the other was a step down.

"Don't trip!" I said through gritted teeth as I pushed her. She tumbled down the stairs and hit the bottom...hard. She laid there, crying.

"I told you not to test me." I said before walking out the stairwell. Hopefully, someone would go help her. Who am I kidding? I didn't care. That staircase was barely used, so who knew how long she'd be down there.

"30 seconds, kids! Get to class!" A teacher yelled down the hallway. A handful of students, including myself, scurried to our first period.

My day dragged and I couldn't wait to get to lunch to tell the girls of the morning's events. When the lunch bell finally did ring, after four long periods, I raced to Mrs. G's room.

"Guys, I need you to cover for me." I whispered when I sat with them.

"What happened? Did something happen with Aidan?" Spencer asked. They already knew about my Saturday.

"No, Aidan and I are fine."

"So what's up?" Riley asked.

"I may have pushed Caitlyn down the stairs this morning." I twisted my fingers.

"Why?" Havoc didn't look shocked or scared. She looked at me like normal. These were real best friends. They didn't judge my actions.

"Ace broke things off between him and I because him and Caitlyn were supposedly going to try something. I was standing the stairwell after we spoke, and that bitch came down the stairs. She started messing with me even though I warned her not to. So, she took a little tumble." I explained.

"Hey, you handled your business. I can't be mad with that." Riley shrugged.

"Well, the three of us were in the bathroom this morning. No one else came in there, so we can say you were there with us." Spencer suggested. She always had great ideas.

"Thanks, guys. I'm sure Caitlyn will snitch if she gets the chance. I hope her memory fails forever." I laughed.

"But, more importantly...how was it with Aidan?" Havoc leaned forward.

"It felt so good. Oh my god, he is amazing." I bragged.

They continued to ask me questions about it and that was our topic of lunch that day.