You can be the smile I don't want.

Today was my first day at that coffee. I really loved it here. It must be because for the last hour of my shift, my job consisted of playing absolutely anything I wanted to in the back of the room, just so it would be a little more intimate or something like that.

I had already talked with Vanessa. She seemed very kind, and happy. Being around her was good for my mood. To finally see, talk and laugh with someone was really nice.

"We have a few loyals if I may say so" Vanessa said. "There's a old couple that comes every morning at 8am to drink a cup of tea. They're smiley and lovely and always sit right there" She added and pointed at a table near the window. "Then there's usually, right about..." she looked at the clock for five seconds "now."

At that very moment, a guy came in, a big smile on his face, a beanie on his head, shouting hello's at every person he could meet. "Vaness, the usual, please!" He then sat at the bar, just in front of me. His hands sustaining his face, he was smiling right at me, his big eyes glued on me.

"You're the new one, right? I knew Greg was searching for someone. That man can't do anything by himself. I'm Max, by the way." His smile was contagious. More than that actually. And even though I couldn't prevent myself from smiling back, I knew this was no good.

Vanessa went to get what I supposed was a coffee and Max focused his stare on me for a millisecond, looking concentrated before smiling immediately again. "Nice to meet you, Amelia."

"How do you know my name?" I asked, surprised. The smile disappeared of Max's face.

"Don't you remember me?" I furrowed my eyebrows and shook my head. "I'm the Max that can read a badge." And with that, his face was illuminated by the smile once again. Doesn't he get cramps?

With time, I learned not to trust people based on how they look like. I had to learn that the hard way, so now I was questioning everything about everyone. For example, I could already tell by the way she talked that Vanessa had been cheated on. I would never ask her that, because I knew how bad it hurt. I was attentive to everything because I couldn't forgive myself. I couldn't stand the fact that I didn't do anything to save my bestfriend from ending up in a hospital, and eventually, leaving us all. I wouldn't survive losing someone close to me again without noticing the signs.

I took in the situation when Vanessa brought three donuts, five pancakes and a coffee to Max. There was no way he would eat all of that. Not everyday.

"I do eat that every morning." He laughed while shoving half a donut in his mouth. "But nobody complained about my fatty belly so I guess I can go on, can't I?"

I wasn't sure if his carefree attitude was natural or if he was faking it. It really bothered me not to read him like I could read Vanessa for example. I should get used to it though because, apparently, he came here everyday at 7.15am.

After serving a few costumers, Greg made his way over to me. He sat next to Max, who still hadn't finished eating, and stared at me.

"How's it going so far Amelia?" He smirked. "Excited much?"

"What could she be excited about, Greg?" Max asked, laughing. "There's nothing exciting to do in here, sorry mate. I know the truth hurts." He nodded to himself.

"Well, since you asked, Amelia, right here, can play the guitar. She's going to play a bit for us later on." My boss answered.

Max looked at me intensely, and once he was finished drinking, he smiled. "You can play the guitar, work at my favorite place in the world, and are very beautiful. Will you please marry-" Before I could even start to laugh, or Max could even finish his sentence, Greg cut in. "Hands off Maxy, she's mine."
At that point I was about as red as my shirt. I didn't take compliments well. I didn't know how to since I've almost never been complimented.